Let’s get May started off right with Meal Planning. This Week 1 Meal Plan for May is loaded with delicious dinner ideas, side dishes, and even a few homemade desserts.
Also, visit our Meal Plans page for more year-round meal-planning ideas. Meal Planning is one great way to save on the grocery budget.
This article contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure Policy.
Occasions to celebrate in May and we like to celebrate with special recipes.
- 4th- Star Wars Day
- National Day of Prayer (Mealtime prayers for children)
- 5th Cinco de Mayo (Mexican recipes)
- 6th Kentucky Derby
- 13th National Apple Pie Day (recipe)
- 14th Mother’s Day (Brunch recipes)
- 14th National Buttermilk Biscuit Day (recipe)
- 29th Memorial Day (Patriotic Ideas)
Graduation is coming soon! See these Luau Party Ideas to celebrate:
More Meal Plans
About the meal plan
- This meal plan will serve 4. Some recipes will serve more than four depending on your portion sizes.
- It’s a meal plan for one week of dinner ideas.
- Some recipes are intended to create premeditated leftovers, like casseroles or large pots of soup. This saves on the budget.
- It is understood that you have common ingredients in your pantry such as salt and pepper so those are not included in the ingredient lists.
- Some recipes will call for ingredients that can be used in multiple recipes for the week. Such as a head of lettuce can be used to make side salads with a small amount also portioned for tacos. A bag of carrots can be used for multiple dishes in one week to avoid waste.
- There are 7 dinner ideas each week, in no particular order.
- Scroll down for the recipe links.
- Subscribe to my Newsletter to have these meal plans delivered to your inbox.
- Follow my Facebook page for lots of recipes shared daily.
May Meal Plan Week 1
Need to know
- All recipes are linked at the bottom of this article.
- The grocery list for each of the seven entrées includes the ingredients required for that entrée.
- Ingredients are not included for side dish ideas
- Scroll all the way down for homemade dessert recipes to try this month
Make these Low Carb Rosemary & Pecan Covered Roasted Pork Chops with Homemade Plum Sauce for special occasions. The plum sauce isn’t low carb but it is sweetened with honey instead of sugar. Serve on the side or skip it for a true low-carb entree.
Grocery List for entree
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ Cups pecans
- 3 Tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 thick-cut boneless pork chops
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Plum Sauce Ingredients
- 6 large plums, pitted and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. honey
2. Chicken Fajita Wraps with Cilantro Lime Sauce
This is an easy Mexican dinner on the lighter side. Pick up a rotisserie chicken from the Deli and save yourself some time. Cut some carbs by serving on Romaine lettuce leaves. You can use tortilla shells if you like. We don’t mind.
If you are skipping carbs, you are probably skipping the sides. If you want the full on lucsios meal, use my favorite easy Guacamole recipe and get your favorite tortilla chips to go with it.
Fajita Seasoning (check your pantry)
- 3 Tbsp. Chili powder
- 1½ Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 cup plain, full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. homemade fajita seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Robust Olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 orange pepper, sliced thin
- ½ small red onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2-3 Tbsp. Homemade fajita seasoning
- ¼ Cup chicken stock
- ¼ Cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped green onion
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
3. Copycat Mexican Three Meat House Special
A family favorite recipe, this copycat Mexican Three Meat House Special is even more delicious prepared at home. Choose all three meat or only two if you like. This dish comes together quickly and smells delicious cooking.
We enjoy chips and dip with this meal. See my favorite easy Guacamole recipe listed above (with the Fajitas)
- 1 lb. beef stir fry meat
- ½ lb. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 boneless skinless chicken tenderloins, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 pkg. (1 oz.) Fajita seasoning
- 1 large onion cut into long thin slices
- 1 pkg. sliced Baby Bella fresh mushrooms
- 1 Cup rice, (will be 2 cups cooked)
- 2 Cups plus 1 Tbsp. water
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Cup Red, Yellow, and Green Bell Peppers sliced long, Optional
- 1 (16 oz.) container of White Cheese Dip
4. Simple Chopped Steak with Mushroom Gravy
This simple homemade chopped steak recipe is great for those meat and potato loving families. This is what cooking from scratch is about.
- 1 lb. ground beef (preferably ground chuck)
- 1 pkg. dry beefy onion soup mix
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Cups beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 container sliced Portobello mushrooms, rinsed
5 Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (Double Noodles)
This homemade soup recipe is made from scratch with carrots, celery, and chicken broth. This recipe is so easy, even the kids can help make it. Dinner is ready to eat in about 30 minutes.
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 tsp. Olive Oil
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 2 cups dry spaghetti noodles broken into pieces
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
6. Asian Chopped Salad (Turn a produce department salad kit into dinner)
This dinner is ready to eat in under 30 minutes. The best part is that it is on the lighter side too. Use this recipe to turn a grocery store salad kit into a dinner.
Now is a good time to make these Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches. Have a salad and a sandwich for dinner.
- 1 Seedless Cucumber
- 1 pkg. Asian Chopped Salad Kit (with Wonton strips, almonds, and Sesame Dressing included)
- 1 lb. chicken tenders from grocery deli (cold)
- 1/2 Cup Yum Yum Sauce
7 Slow Cooker Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin
Everything is better with bacon, right? This Slow Cooker Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin recipe is simple and easy with only about seven ingredients. It cooks slowly for a tender, juicy, and tasty dinner.
Since the entree for today is perfect for Sunday dinner, I am suggesting some delicious sides that will make the perfect meal. Southern Carrot Soufflé, Pecan Glazed Green Beans, and some Southern Deviled Eggs. Make a batch of Copycat McDonald’s Biscuit Recipe and a pitcher of this Southern Sweet Tea Recipe.
- One (3 lb.) Pork Tenderloin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 Medium Onion peeled and cut in fourths (optional)
- 6 to 8 slices of thick-cut bacon
Scroll down for all of this week’s menu plan recipe links.
May Meal Plan Recipes Week 1
- Rosemary Pecan Crusted Pork Chops recipe
- Fajita Chicken Wraps with Cilantro-Lime Sauce recipe
- Copycat Mexican Three Meat House Special recipe
- Chopped Steak with Mushroom Gravy recipe
- Homemade Chicken Noodle (Double Noodle) soup recipe
- Asian Chopped Salad with Sesame Dressing recipe
- Slow Cooker Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin recipe
Got tips others can use? Questions? I love hearing from you. Please scroll down and leave a comment.