I’m so excited to bring you this Thrift Store Decor Upcycle Challenge! I’ve teamed up with 20 other bloggers for this thrift store blog hop.
A big THANK YOU to Amanda at The Kolb Corner for doing all the heavy lifting on this challenge and blog hop.
The rules were simple–take an item(s) from a thrift store, yard sale, resale shop etc. and transform it into a new piece of home decor. There was no budget, or theme to stick to so we were free to let our creativity run wild!
Meet the Hosts
Amanda | The Kolb Corner Chelc| Inside the Fox Den
Erlene | My Pinterventures Kim | Made in a Day Sara | Twelve on Main
Emily | Two Purple Couches Shirley | Intelligent Domestications
Marie | DIY Adulation Lindsay | Crazy Organized Michelle | Our Crafty Mom
Julie | Live From Julie’s House Debra | Shoppe No. 5 Dru | Polka Dot Poplars
Maureen | Red Cottage Chronicles Pili | Sweet Things Channell | Hobnail House
Colleen | Life on Kaydeross Creek Ann | Duct Tape and Denim
Paula | Virginia Sweet Pea Sherry | Savvy Apron Stacy | Anastasia Vintage
I spotted this ugly beat up old jewelry box in one of my favorite thrift stores several months ago. It was half price, only $3 cha ching! I’m in the process of ‘decorating’ my craft room. I knew I could upcycle this piece into some cute sewing supply storage. So into my cart it went. Yep, that’s right, I get a shopping cart when I go into my favorite thrift store, don’t you?
Oh my goodness, it’s so ugly and dirty.
- 1 ugly old wooden jewelry box
- Drawer pulls, wooden thread spools
- Flat black spray paint
- Americana chalky finish paint, Innocence
- Spray Lacquer
- Mod Podge
- E6000 glue
- Fine grit sand paper
- Decorative paper, Vintage black toile
First I washed the outside and I do mean washed. This jewelry box is wood so it held up just fine to a good washing.
Then I removed the drawer pulls and that horrible yellow flocked stuff masquerading as velvet. I was having flashbacks to the 70’s.
Removing the drawer pulls left small indention’s on the drawer fronts. I filled those in with spackling.
I used three coats of paint.
The first coat of paint is a very light spraying of flat black. I didn’t intend to cover well, just a good dusting of black.
The second coat of paint is a pink chalk paint which I brushed on.
The final coat is sprayed on flat black. I almost forgot to snap a pic. I was already beginning to sand the top. I forgot to paint that little strip in the front so it’s in progress in this photo.
Antiquing was next. No photos of the process. Sometimes when you get busy crafting, you forget to stop and snap pictures. I used a fine grit sandpaper and moved slowly. It was actually kind of fun.
Fitting and gluing paper to the drawers was next. I found this pretty toile paper and knew I just had to have it! It is only .44¢ per sheet at Hobby Lobby.
Cutting and fitting was a matter of trial and error. I used Mod Podge to glue the paper down. A top coat of Mod Podge was added as a sealer. This step was the most tedious part with lots of cutting and fitting.
TIP: Manicure scissors are perfect for trimming the edges of the paper which poked out at the tops of the drawers.
You can see in the photo above that all the bottom paper from the ugly yellow stuff wouldn’t come out. I just covered over it.
I added the paper to the sides first in every section.
I began adding Mod Podge on the back side of each section and drawer and worked my way across to the opposite side. I painted the glue onto small sections of the paper at a time. I’m so glad I remembered to notice the design of the paper was facing forward before beginning.
Adding the drawer pulls. I had these cute little wooden spools in my craft stash. Because I intend to use my new storage box for sewing supplies, I thought these spools would be perfect drawer pulls.
It was pretty easy to cut them in half using a hack saw. They received the same three coats of paint. I glued them into place using E6000.
The last step was to spray on a coat of lacquer to seal the paint and make a nice looking finish.
I’m in love with the finished project. It was a lot of work with multiple steps but I love it!
This was my first experience with antiquing. I’m happy with the results and my choice of paint colors. This old jewelry box was easy to work with.
I’m very happy with how this project turned out. I’m using it for some of my sewing supplies that I tend to reach for most often. That seam ripper and I are on a first name basis anytime I sit down to sew.
You May Also Like
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Gold and Green Glass & Natural Thanksgiving Tablescape - November 21, 2017
- Ideas To Make Thanksgiving Fun For Kids & Merry Monday Link Up #181 - November 19, 2017
- Thanksgiving Pilgrim Creamer Bottle Kids Craft - November 19, 2017