This Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe is a one-pot meal with only 6 ingredients. It’s an easy Crockpot recipe that makes a hearty one-dish dinner for any time of the year.
This crock pot corned beef and cabbage recipe is the perfect meal for Fall food, or to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Corned beef and cabbage is to St. Patty’s Day what King Cake is to Mardi Gras.
This article contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure Policy.
The slow-cooked corned beef makes the meat tender and delicious and the corned beef spices have lots of time to marinate the meat while it is cooking.
Adding the vegetables into the Slow cooker allows them to soak in the flavors of the corned beef seasoning as well.
Ingredients for Corned Beef & Cabbage
The ingredients for the best corned beef and cabbage recipe are simple. Fresh vegetables round out the meal and the corned beef comes with a seasoning packet.
- Corned beef brisket (about 4 pounds)
- About 3 medium Russet potatoes
- 4 Carrots sliced into bite-size pieces
- One head of fresh cabbage
- Salt and pepper to taste
Before slicing your Corned Beef, be sure to allow it to rest for a few minutes so the juices won’t all be lost. Always allow the meat to rest for 3-5 minutes to let the juices settle.
Corned Beef and Cabbage Slow Cooker Directions
Prepare the vegetables. Peel and cut the carrots into bite-size pieces.
Cooking Tip for cutting the potatoes
I cut my potatoes really big so I can put them in the Crockpot for a long time. If you wish your potatoes to be cut smaller, wait and put them in the Crockpot with the cabbage.
You can use small red potatoes without peeling them but be sure to wash them first. I use a vegetable brush like this for washing fresh vegetables.
How to cut the Cabbage
First cut the cabbage in half to make it more manageable. Then, you can cut the halves in half if you like. Next, begin slicing through small sections of the cabbage until you have cut up the entire head. This is one way to slice the cabbage into thin pieces.
If you like big bite-size pieces, you will still begin by cutting the head of the cabbage in half. Then cut the halves in half but not the long way. Now, begin chopping into big chunks before cooking.
Always rinse your cabbage in a colander under cool running water after cutting up and before cooking.
Prepare the Crockpot. I love these Crockpot liners for easy cleanup.
Place the potatoes and carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the corned beef and the seasoning packet on top of the vegetables. Cover with just enough water to cover the meat.
Place the lid on the Crockpot and cook on high for about 2 hours or until the meat begins to get tender.
Then add the cabbage and replace the lid. Continue to cook on high for about 2-3 hours until the meat and cabbage are both tender.
I have owned a few Crockpots through the years and this one is my all-time favorite!
Carefully remove the meat to a cutting board and allow it to rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables to a serving bowl.
Slice the meat against the grain and arrange it on top of the vegetables. Serve and enjoy.
Grocery Shopping List for Corned Beef & Cabbage Meal
- Corned Beef Brisket (about 4 pounds)
- 3 medium russet potatoes or small Red potatoes if you like
- 4 whole carrots (we use whole so we can slice them into the penny slices)
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- Salt & Pepper
KITCHEN TOOLS USED
- Crockpot like this 7 qt. one
- Vegetable brush like this one
- Kitchen knives: these are my current favorites
- Vegetable Peeler: My favorite ever is this one!
~~~Follow our Crockpot/Slow Cooker Recipes Board on Pinterest~~~
More One-Dish Dinner Recipes
A savory roast chicken recipe one-pan dinner made easy with a simple kitchen hack. Seasoned chicken juice flavors the vegetables underneath while the chicken is roasting.
Skillet Cabbage Rice and Sausage. There is so much flavor in this recipe and it’s a family favorite at our house. We use brown rice for added fiber.
Anytime there is macaroni and cheese involved, the kids’ ears perk up. This recipe for Broccoli & Sausage Macaroni Casserole is another easy-to-toss-together Crockpot meal.
Easy Sausage & Veggies Sheet Pan Dinner recipe. I love how easy this one is to pop in the oven. If you cover the pan with foil there is even easier clean up.
Crockpot Three Cheese Stuffed Manicotti. Oh. My. Goodness. This dish is super delicious and even better as leftovers the next day.
Don’t forget to make a good homemade pizza now and then. It does qualify as a one-dish dinner! Easy Homemade Three Meat Pizza recipe.
Crockpot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 corned beef brisket about 4 pounds
- 3 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut
- 4 carrots sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 head cabbage chopped or cut into wedges
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Prepare the vegetables. Chop the cabbage. Cut carrots into large bite size pieces or leave whole if using small carrots. Cut potatoes in half or leave whole if using small potatoes.
- Place a disposable liner in your Crockpot for easy cleanup.
- Place the potatoes and carrots into the bottom of the Crockpot.
- Add the brisket on top of the vegetables.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add just enough water to cover the brisket.
- Cover and cook on high about 2 hours until meat is getting tender. Can be cooked on low for about 5 hours before adding cabbage.
- Add the cabbage around the brisket (not on top of the meat) and continue to cook on high about 2 or 3 hours until meat and cabbage are tender. If cooking on low, continue to cook for about 3 more hours after adding cabbage.
- Remove the meat from the Crockpot and slice brisket against the grain. Place the meat on a large serving dish. Scoop the vegetables around the meat. Serve and enjoy!
Originally published 10/2/2017