It took a few tries but I finally perfected my Skillet Cabbage, Rice & Sausage One Dish Dinner Recipe! Only 6 ingredients and less than one hour to the dinner table!
Truthfully, I never would have thought that my hubby and I would even enjoy this particular combination of ingredients. If you’ve been here often, you know my hubby likes to cook. He recently tried a recipe from a magazine with cabbage, rice and tomatoes. It was ok but not spectacular and that’s ok. From his attempt, we learned that we liked that combination of ingredients. So I started thinking.
The recipe in the magazine had a whole lot of ingredients. We are busy people and don’t often have time to devote to tons of ingredients and lots of steps in recipes. So I took it upon myself to create an easier version, full of flavor with less work.
- 1 pkg. smoked sausage
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 cup brown rice
- ½ medium head cabbage
- 2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz) chicken broth
- Chop .the cabbage into bite size pieces
- Chop the sausage into small pieces
- In a large skillet, bring the tomatoes and chicken broth to a boil
- Stir in Old Bay seasoning
- Add the cabbage to the skillet and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes
- Stir in the rice
- Add sausage
- Simmer with lid on until the rice is done.
- You do want some juices in this dish once it is done, so if you need to add more liquid, use boiling water.
Photo above shows the cabbage cooking in the broth and tomatoes. Some of the juice will cook out while simmering the cabbage.
You do want some juices in this dish once it is done so if you need to add more liquid, you can use boiling water. The point at which you may need to add more liquid is when you add the rice.
Skillet Cabbage Rice & Sausage One Dish Dinner is packed with flavor! We set the skillet on the table and made this weeknight dinner even easier to clean up!
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter
You May Also Like