A good Southern Cornbread Recipe is a must have for any cook for several reasons. First, it’s a cheap side dish plus it’s perfect for soups, stews and of course chili.
Learning to make a good pan of cornbread is one of the most simple and affordable recipes to add to your collection. It’s a good dish for stretching the grocery budget because the ingredients are kitchen staples.
More Recipes using Cornbread:
- How To Make Cornbread Dressing (Video included)
- Waffle Iron Cornbread
- How To Make Cornbread Croutons
- Cracklin Cornbread
What to serve Cornbread with:
Cornbread does not have to be made in an Iron Skillet although us southern folks think it’s quite delicious that way. You can also make Cornbread Muffins just for a change using a muffin pan and cupcake liners.
Fried Cornbread is called Hoe Cakes and is also quite delicious. You can fry it on the stove top in the iron skillet or on a griddle. Either way, it’s really tasty.
Scroll all the way down for the printable recipe.
My Dad was one of ten children who grew up eating a whole lot of cornbread prepared every way it could be prepared. He used to eat cornbread broken up into a glass of buttermilk. That is not something I would enjoy but I have learned to love cornbread and appreciate it’s versatility.
Cabbage and Cornbread is one of my favorite meals. It’s cheap, easy and delicious!
[Tweet “Homemade Southern Cornbread prepared in the Iron Skillet! Easy recipe. Perfect with Chili, Soups & Stews #cornbread”]
~Share this recipe to Pinterest~
My Favorite Tools when preparing Cornbread
- Muffin Pan
- Silicone Whisk
- Iron Skillet
- Square Baking Pan
- Tupperware Measuring Bowl (for mixing and pouring, not pictured)
- 1½ Cups Self Rising Cornmeal
- ½ Cup Self Rising Flour
- 1½ Cups Buttermilk
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add buttermilk and eggs and mix until well blended using a whisk.
- Add oil to 10 inch iron skillet or baking pan. Tilt pan around to spread the oil evenly around the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat the Iron skillet in the oven for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the cornbread mixture into the preheated pan.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Use this recipe in any pan you wish or to make Cornbread muffins in cup cake papers.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 154Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 39mgSodium 503mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 5g
Nutrition information is not completely accurate depending on ingredients and brands used in household kitchens.