My hubby and I recently experienced Cornbread Croutons at a local restaurant while on a trip to Oklahoma City. Those croutons were so good, we were still talking about them after we came home. Quite naturally, I simply had to create my own!
If making cornbread from scratch isn’t your thing, no problem. There are some great mixes available. I know this because, well I don’t always make mine from scratch either. See these brands available on Amazon.
This article contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure Policy.
Cornbread Croutons should have a delicious flavor with just a bit of soft crunch. Bake them longer if you prefer for a harder crunch.
We like them with just the slightest hint of sweetness. To achieve that, add a pinch of sugar to the cornbread mix.
How To Make Cornbread Croutons
No recipe required just a few instructions and some leftover cornbread. Print or Download my Cornbread recipe to keep on hand.
Shape and Size
Using your leftover Cornbread, Cut the croutons as nearly to the same size as possible which will allow the batch to brown evenly.
Sprinkle with olive oil and toss gently with your choice of seasoning. Garlic powder, Salt and Pepper, Italian Seasoning are all good flavors for croutons. These are good without any seasonings added also!
Spread the pieces onto a prepared baking pan in a single layer. Bake at 350° until they reach your desired crispness, about 20 minutes or so. Oven temps vary so, if you find the croutons are browning too quickly without the crispness you want, lower the oven heat and bake longer.
Cool completely. Store in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days.
Use Cornbread Croutons for:
- Soups and Stews
- Casserole Toppings
- Crush them in a food processor and use instead of bread crumbs in a recipe
Toss all of your favorite salad ingredients together and top it off with these scrumptious, crunchy with just a hint of sweet Cornbread Croutons! Your homemade Cornbread Croutons will be restaurant quality!
Make Your Own Cornbread Croutons
- Leftover Cornbread
- Seasonings Optional:
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Lemon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cut the cornbread into small squares.
- Slice each square in half so that the top crust and bottom crust are two pieces, so each crouton has a crust.
- Now cut into small bite size pieces, the size you wish your croutons to be. You can make small croutons or really big ones, you’re in charge.
- Place the pieces into a bowl if you plan to season them.
- Sprinkle with Olive Oil and your choice of seasoning. Toss gently to coat.
- Place all of your croutons onto a prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake until crisp, approximately 20 minutes. Oven temps vary so keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. If they are browning too quickly without achieving your desired crispness, lower the oven temp and bake longer.
- Cool Completely
- Store in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days.