Make your own Cornbread Croutons. They are the perfect topping for soups and salads!
My hubby and I recently experienced Cornbread Croutons at a local restaurant while on a trip to Oklahoma City. Those croutons were so good, we were still talking about them after we came home. Quite naturally, I simply had to create my own!
No recipe required, just some leftover cornbread. Print or Download my Cornbread recipe to keep on hand.
Cornbread croutons are wonderful with just the slightest hint of sweetness. To achieve that, add a pinch of sugar to the cornbread mix. You could cheat and make some store bought boxed mix. There are a couple of brands in the grocery store with a slight bit of sweetness to them.
- Leftover cornbread
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cut the cornbread into small squares.
- Slice each square in half so that the top crust and bottom crust are two pieces, so each crouton has a crust. (you will need thin cornbread for this)
- Now cut each half piece into small bite size pieces, the size you wish your croutons to be. You can make small croutons or really big ones, you’re in charge.
- Place all of your croutons onto a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake until crisp, approximately 20 minutes. Oven temps vary so keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. You just want them to be crisp, like a crouton.
- Serve and enjoy!
It just doesn’t get much easier than that folks! You can feel good about using your leftover cornbread too!
You Homemade Cornbread Croutons are not just for salads, they’re perfect for soup season too!
Toss all of your favorite salad ingredients together and top it off with these scrumptious, crunchy with just a hint of sweet Cornbread Croutons! Your homemade Cornbread Croutons will be restaurant quality!
More Salads and Salad Toppings…
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Welcome Spring Blog Hop - March 19, 2018
- 7 Ways To Repurpose Jars Into Home Decor (Merry Monday 196) - March 18, 2018
- Whimsical Easter Bunny Flower Pail Decor - March 15, 2018