A good crab stew recipe might be hard to find. Crabmeat Stew is one of those wonderful one-pot hearty meals perfect for fall and winter. This easy crab stew recipe is ready to eat in under one hour.
My recipe for southern Crab Stew has been in our family for many years. It is adapted from a recipe my cousin used to make for us from time to time. I gave it a little bit of a Louisiana crab stew flare by adding the Old Bay seasoning. My cousin enjoyed making it with salt and pepper only. If you don’t care for spice, stick with salt and pepper.
This article contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure Policy.
Seven simple ingredients make this an easy meal to prepare. You can find all of these ingredients at your local grocery store or on Amazon with the links provided.
- Canned Crabmeat, like this
- Cream of Celery Soup, this one
- Cream of Potato Soup, this one
- Old Bay Seasoning, buy it on Amazon
- Black Pepper, I prefer this brand
1 Drain the Canned Crabmeat
Pour the crabmeat into a colander to drain and remove the paper wrapping.
Some cans will have paper wrapping and some will not. Allow the crabmeat to drain completely.
2 Cook The Onions
While the crab meat is draining, begin cooking the onions on medium-high heat, stirring often.
Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven and add the chopped onions. I like to pulverize the onion in a small food chopper like this.
Cook the onions until they are just about clear, stirring often.
3 Add The Cream of Soups
Once the onions are almost clear, add the soups to the pot and stir.
After adding the soup to the onions, pour milk into the empty soup can to dislodge any remaining soup from the can and then pour it into the pot. Stir often while cooking on medium-high heat.
4 Add the crabmeat, Old Bay and Milk
Now stir in the drained crabmeat. Then add the Old Bay seasoning and stir. Add the remaining milk and bring to a low rolling boil, stirring often.
Once the crab stew comes to a nice boil, turn the heat down to medium and allow it to simmer for a few minutes. All of the ingredients are done, you just want to get the crab stew good and hot.
Serve Crab Stew with Oyster Crackers
We always enjoy oyster crackers with our Crab Stew. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. You can serve cornbread or saltine crackers if you like.
We also enjoy heavy black pepper with our Crabmeat stew. That is a personal preference. Cracked black pepper sprinkled heavily on top is quite yummy. It’s about as close as I come to eating spicy food.
Crab Meat Stew is a simple and easy recipe ready to eat in under one hour.
Make this delicious comfort food soup recipe any time of the year but especially during soup season. This simple crab stew recipe is also good for potluck dinners and as the soup course for a dinner party.
- 2 cans cream of potato soup
- 2 cans cream of celery soup
- 3-4 cans 6 oz. can of crabmeat, drained
- 2 Tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 medium onion chopped optional
- 1/2 stick butter or margarine
- 4-6 cups milk
- Melt the butter in the bottom of a Dutch oven on medium high heat.
- Add the chopped onions to the melted butter and continue cooking on medium high heat until the onions are glazed or just about clear.
- Add in the soups and the crabmeat and stir well.
- Pour milk into the empty soup cans and then into the Dutch oven, stir well. I fill each soup can twice, scraping the sides with a spoon to get all of the soup. (The amount of milk you use will depend on your personal preference as to how thick you want your stew)
- Add in the Old Bay and stir well.
- Because this is a milk base stew, you will need to stir often.
- Continue cooking on medium high heat until the stew reaches a soft boil.
- Turn down and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve and enjoy!
A warm and hearty one-pot stew for crabmeat lovers. Crab bisque is a creamy and smooth flavorful seafood soup good any time of the year.
More Homemade Soup Recipes
- Southern Style Cabbage Soup
- Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- Easy Homemade Vegetable Soup
- Easy White Beans And Ham Soup
- Minestrone Soup Gluten Free Version with Quinoa and White Beans
- Country Style 15 Bean Soup Made From Scratch
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Easy Recipe