Classic Watergate Salad is really somewhat of a misnomer for a name because this Fruit Fluff Salad is really a dessert! It’s super easy to make with only three ingredients.
This no bake jello salad has been making appearances at social events for quite a few years now.
The History of Watergate Salad dates back to the mid 1980’s. Originally the recipe was shared by Kraft and called Pistachio Pineapple Delight. Sometime in the mid 1980’s the name was changed to Watergate Salad and marshmallows were added to the recipe. Even though the name changed the recipe is still printed on the side of the Pistachio Jell-o box. For the complete history visit the Kraft site here. You will also find links to other variations.
Watergate Salad Trivia
(Answers at the bottom of this page)
What month of the year is Watergate Salad most popular based on internet searches for the recipe?
How many people search the internet for the Watergate Salad recipe during it’s most popular month?
The fact that you can make this no bake dessert with only three ingredients is not lost on a busy cook either! If you are adding this side dish to your Thanksgiving menu, make it a day ahead.
I make mine without the marshmallows. That’s how Momma always made it and I now know why based on my history research! Plus it’s Low Carb when you leave the marshmallows out.
Follow our Seven or Less Ingredient Recipe Board on Pinterest
~~~Share this recipe to Pinterest~~~
Also known as Fluff, this easy no bake Jello dessert can be made with only 3 ingredients. Skipping the marshmallows will make it low carb.
- 1 small pkg. (3.4 oz.) Pistachio pudding
- 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapples in juice, undrained
- 1 (12 oz) container of whipped topping, preferably Cool Whip
- ¼ cup chopped pecans for topping
- 1 Cup mini marshmallows
- In a bowl, pour the pudding and pineapples together, stirring until well blended.
- Add the whipped topping to the bowl (and Marshmallows if using them) Fold well.
- Chill in refrigerator, covered for at least one hour prior to serving.
- Top with pecans prior to serving. (Optional)
Serving Size1/2 Cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 89Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 43mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 1g
Nutrition calculations are estimated and not completely accurate depending on variables of ingredients used.
Fruit Fluff Salad is a perfect make ahead dessert for entertaining. You can store it in the refrigerator and bring it out at the right moment. Serve your Watergate Salad in pretty dessert dishes for that extra touch to impress your guests.
Watergate Salad is great for
- Easter or
- Mother’s Day brunch,
- Summer soiree’s,
- Thanksgiving and
- If you are looking for green food for St. Patrick’s Day, don’t forget this easy 3 ingredient delight!
Trivia Answers. November. 50,000.