Celebrate America all summer long with your DIY Frosted Mason Jar Patriotic Luminaries in your outdoor decor.
Mason Jar crafts are always a fun and frugal way to add seasonal decor to the home. These Patriotic Luminaries create a striking glow of light on the porch or deck on a summer evening. They are great for a mantle decor indoors also.
Do you decorate your home with Patriotic decor during the summer season? I love to show my American pride by decorating with red, white and blue with a few flags sprinkled around here and there.
Also see these Patriotic decor ideas: Patriotic Repurposed Can Bird Feeder
This is a budget friendly Mason jar craft which only requires a few simple supplies.
- Wide mouth Mason Jar(s) or glass jar such as pasta sauce or mayonnaise
- Epsom salts
- Mod Podge
- Small American Flag (4″x6″) or the flag for your country
- Small brush for applying Mod podge
- Red and White bakers twine
- Jar Rings painted in contrasting color
- Spray paint for jar rings
Apply the flag before frosting the jar.
Remove the flag by pulling out the staples gently if you purchased one on a small stick like I did.
Begin by applying Mod Podge in small sections on the jar. Then carefully place the flag onto the glue. Continue applying and smoothing down the flag into the glue until you have the flag completely glued down.
Follow the instructions for drying time on the Mod Podge container which is generally 15 to 20 minutes between coats.
Apply several coats of Mod Podge to the surface of the flag as a sealer. Mine have 3 coats.
How to Frost the jar
Frosting the back of these Mason Jar luminaries creates a nice glow when the candle is burning. Without the frost the light tends to escape.
Use a small box to containerize the Epsom Salts as shown.
First, apply the Mod Podge to the area you want to frost. Mod Podge dries quickly so you must WORK FAST. I was brave and applied the Mod Podge to the entire area at one time!
You could roll the jar in the Epsom Salts but that would leave a little glue in the unused portion of the salts so I sprinkled it on gently. Just hold the jar carefully over the box of salts and sprinkle until you have enough.
That’s it! Wasn’t that easy. What a cool trick for frosting glass jars too!
More Epsom Salts craft ideas: Faux Iced Winter Branches
More DIY Patriotic Decor Ideas
- American Flag Table
- Americana Mason Jar Lid Coasters
- Blue Speckled Enamelware Canner Pot Becomes Flower Container
- Denim Flag Wreath @Made In A Day
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Scarecrow Candy Corn Centerpiece - August 17, 2018
- Crescent Roll & Sausage Breakfast Casserole - August 14, 2018
- Hand Held Food Made From Scratch (Merry Monday 217) - August 12, 2018