These Redhot Patriotic Poke Cupcakes were inspired by Patriotism, a love of desserts and my grandchildren who love Red Hots and Fireball candies!
I remember ‘Poke’ cakes from when they first became popular back in the, well hmmm, was it the late ’70’s or sometime in the crazy 80’s? I don’t remember but I do have a funny story to tell about my first ‘poke’ cake!
There was a nice 4th of July celebration at church. Someone thought it would be fun for all of us ladies to bring a Poke cake! (there is absolutely no way that I would agree to being a part of everyone making the exact same thing ever again!) Anyway, there was a small group of ladies gathered around the dessert table. One particular lady is going to town talking about just how horrible one of the cakes looked When she decided to take a break from being the judge of the ugliest cake conversation, I simply and quietly stated, “I did the best I could.” Ugly cakes are always the best ones!
My baking skills have improved slightly so I ventured into making Poke Cupcakes for a fun Patriotic dessert!
I made these Redhot Patriotic Poke Cupcakes at my daughter’s home surrounded by my precious grandchildren. Grandma’s enjoy creating memories with their Grands and baking treat for holidays is a great way to do that.
Also See: Grandma Summer Camp
I did not want to use food coloring to make the frosting a deep blue. Berry Blue gelatin works fine if you don’t mind having that beautiful shade of aqua blue. I don’t mind.
Our poke cupcakes are displayed on a Tupperware Pedestal Stand. USA Flag Picks added a fun festive spirit!
- 1pkg. white cake mix
- Eggs and oil according to cake mix package directions
- 1 Can vanilla frosting
- 1 Box Berry Blue gelatin
- 1 small pkg. Red Hot candies
- 1 small pkg. Fireball candies
- 1 pkg. red gelatin (cherry or strawberry)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1.2 cup cold water
- Follow directions on back of cake mix box for making cupcakes.
- Bake cupcakes according to directions, then allow to cool.
- While cupcakes are cooling, spoon the frosting into a bowl. Pour the Berry Blue gelatin into the frosting and mix completely. Set aside.
- In a bowl, pour the boiling water over the red gelatin and stir until dissolved. Pour the cold water in and stir.
- Using a meat fork or a wooden skewer, poke holes into the cupcakes at about ¼ inch intervals. (Don’t use a dinner fork as the holes will be too large)
- Pour or spoon the gelatin over the holes in the cupcakes.
- Pipe the frosting on top.
- Place a single fireball on top and then surround that fireball with Red Hot candies
- Serve and Enjoy!
More Red White & Blue Fun
- Simple Patriotic Tablescape
- Frosted Mason Jar Patriotic Luminaries
- DIY Americana Clay Pot Wreath
- Red White and Blue Swirl Cake Mix Cookies @DIY Adulation
- Make This Easy Autumn Mug As A Beginner Cricut Project - September 29, 2020
- Gluten Free Delicious Baked Apple Crisp Recipe - September 28, 2020
- 33 Halloween Movies The Whole Family Will Love To Watch - September 14, 2020