You probably have most of the ingredients on hand to make this White Beans and Ham Soup recipe. We use dried Navy Beans making this a budget friendly meal.
White beans also known as Navy Beans make a hearty and delicious stick-to-the-ribs winter soup that will have everyone going back for seconds especially when you add ham to the pot!
I have included both Stove Top and Instant Pot printable recipes for this soup.
Cooking homemade soups with dried peas and beans is a great way to save on the grocery budget.
MORE SOUP RECIPES:
Some of our seasonings are optional such as garlic and cayenne pepper. Personally I don’t care for cayenne pepper and garlic isn’t always something I’m in the mood for so I have made those optional for you too. The majority of the flavor in this soup is courtesy of the ham. If you want the full flavor profile of this recipe, don’t skip any ingredients the first time you make it.
Onions or No onions?
The onions are delicious in this soup….if you enjoy onions, right. Well here is a neat little trick for those who don’t care for onions but you still need that flavor profile. Onion Powder does a great job of adding the flavor without the bite. It is a popular ingredient so I buy it in large containers like this one.
Keep leftover baked ham in the freezer to use for soups and stews like this. Cut the meat off the bone before freezing and divide into separate freezer bags. I always leave some meat on the bone and freeze it separately to use in a pot of Homemade Vegetable Soup.
You will be using leftovers wisely and adding scrumptious flavor to your meals while saving on the grocery budget.
MORE Recipes Using Peas and Beans
- Crockpot Maple Beans and Franks (top left)
- Black Eye Pea Salsa
- Hopping John aka Black Eyed Peas and Rice
- Beef & Bean Burritos
Rinse the beans in a colander under warm running water.
Mince the onion and place into instant pot. (pictured is chopped onion, not minced)
Add the Navy beans and top with the ham.
Then pour in vegetable broth and water.
Add in paprika, salt, pepper, cumin.
Add garlic and cayenne pepper if using those.
Add bay leaves last. Stir well.
Lock the lid and place valve in sealed position.
Set to high pressure for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Once the instant pot stops counting let it naturally release for 25 minutes then quick release remaining pressure.
SEE NOTES in printable recipe below for pre-soaking the beans.
INSTANT POT AND STOVE TOP RECIPE for White Beans and Ham Soup
- 1 lb diced ham (found in the meat department, pre-packaged)
- 2 cups dried Great Northern White Beans
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 1/2 Cups white onion, minced
- 1 (28 oz.) container Vegetable Broth
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. Butter (Stove Top recipe only)
- Rinse the beans in a colander under warm running water
- Mince the onion and place into instant pot.
- Add in rinsed beans and ham. Then pour in vegetable broth and water. Add in paprika, salt, pepper, cumin.
- Add garlic and cayenne pepper if using those. Add bay leaves last. Stir well.
- Lock the lid and place valve in sealed position.
Set to high pressure for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting let it naturally release for 25 minutes then quick release remaining pressure.
- This meal is delicious when served with corn bread. See our Homemade Cornbread recipe right here.
- SEE NOTES for pre-soaking the beans.
STOVE TOP RECIPE
Rinse the beans in a colander under warm running water
Melt the butter on medium heat in the Dutch oven
Mince the onion and place into the melted butter. Cook for several minutes until the onion has softened.
Add the Vegetable broth and water and bring to a boil.
Add in rinsed beans and ham. Add in paprika, salt, pepper, cumin.
Add garlic and cayenne pepper if using those. Add bay leaves last. Stir well.
Simmer on medium heat for about two hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
Serve with Cornbread
If you have pre-soaked the beans, only cook on high pressure for 40 minutes then quick release. Do not do a natural pressure release.
- 15 Most Popular Gifts For Women This Year - October 19, 2020
- 21 Crazy Easy Beginner Cricut Projects for You To Try - October 16, 2020
- Low Carb Creamy Turkey And Mushroom Soup Made From Scratch - October 6, 2020