A good Southern Cornbread Recipe is a must have for any cook for several reasons. First, it’s a cheap side dish plus it’s perfect for soups, stews and of course chili.
Learning to make a good pan of cornbread is one of the most simple and affordable recipes to add to your collection. It’s a good dish for stretching the grocery budget because the ingredients are kitchen staples.
More Recipes using Cornbread:
- How To Make Cornbread Dressing (Video included)
- Waffle Iron Cornbread
- How To Make Cornbread Croutons
- Cracklin Cornbread
What to serve Cornbread with:
Cornbread does not have to be made in an Iron Skillet although us southern folks think it’s quite delicious that way. You can also make Cornbread Muffins just for a change using a muffin pan and cupcake liners.
Fried Cornbread is called Hoe Cakes and is also quite delicious. You can fry it on the stove top in the iron skillet or on a griddle. Either way, it’s really tasty.
Scroll all the way down for the printable recipe.
My Dad was one of ten children who grew up eating a whole lot of cornbread prepared every way it could be prepared. He used to eat cornbread broken up into a glass of buttermilk. That is not something I would enjoy but I have learned to love cornbread and appreciate it’s versatility.
Cabbage and Cornbread is one of my favorite meals. It’s cheap, easy and delicious!
~Share this recipe to Pinterest~
My Favorite Tools when preparing Cornbread
- Muffin Pan
- Silicone Whisk
- Iron Skillet
- Square Baking Pan
- Tupperware Measuring Bowl (for mixing and pouring, not pictured)
- 1½ Cups Self Rising Cornmeal
- ½ Cup Self Rising Flour
- 1½ Cups Buttermilk
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Oil
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add buttermilk and eggs and mix until well blended using a whisk.
- Add oil to 10 inch iron skillet or baking pan. Tilt pan around to spread the oil evenly around
- the bottom.
- Preheat the Iron skillet in the oven for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the cornbread mixture into the preheated pan.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.