Enjoy these Family Friendly Mardi Gras Ideas for your celebrations. Keep scrolling for a breakdown of what Mardi Gras is really about.
What is Mardi Gras?
- Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday also known as Shrove Tuesday
- Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday.
- Ash Wednesday is a Christian Holy Day of prayer and fasting which begins the season of Lent. It takes place 46 days prior to Easter.
- Lent is a time of reflection and preparation for Christians prior to Easter. Lent lasts 40 days just as Jesus was tempted by Satan for 40 days. During Lent many Christians abstain from something in their life which is generally important to them such as desserts or alcohol. The abstention can be most anything these days including internet usage or social media. The idea is to fast from something you wouldn’t normally give up.
- Mardi Gras is a big celebration prior to the beginning of Lent. Lots of food is associated with Mardi Gras such as the King Cake.