My super easy Homemade King Cake recipe isn’t as much a recipe as it is How-To instructions. Celebrate Mardi Gras with this easy Cinnamon Roll King Cake you can whip up in no time. Make two because it’s vanishes quickly!
Welcome to the Pinterest Challenge which is one of my favorite times of the month! We get to create, bake or make something we have been admiring and no doubt have saved on our Pinterest! FOLLOW MY PINTEREST HERE!
My Inspiration Pin is this one which reminded me of a King Cake I had purchased from the grocery store several years ago. When I realized that King Cake is basically Cinnamon Rolls with extra icing and colorful sugar sprinkles, I thought I must be dreaming.
A few of my favorite Pinterest Challenge projects I have done:
- How To Make A Faux Hobnail Vase
- Slow Cooked Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- How To DIY A Witches Hat Wreath
- Not Quite Mississippi Crockpot Roast
King Cake is to Mardi Gras what Sugar Cookies are to Christmas!
What is Mardi Gras? Let me break it down.
- Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday also known as Shrove Tuesday
- Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday.
- Ash Wednesday is a Christian Holy Day of prayer and fasting which begins the season of Lent. It takes place 46 days prior to Easter.
- Lent is a time of reflection and preparation for Christians prior to Easter. Lent lasts 40 days just as Jesus was tempted by Satan for 40 days. During Lent many Christians abstain from something in their life which is generally important to them such as desserts or alcohol. The abstention can be most anything these days including internet usage or social media. The idea is to fast from something you wouldn’t normally give up.
- Mardi Gras is a big celebration prior to the beginning of Lent.
Homemade King Cake Easy Recipe!
The colors all have a special meaning. Purple represents justice. Green represents faith and gold represents power. There is also a tiny little toy baby inserted into each King Cake. This can be achieved but simply cutting a small hole, insert the baby, replace the dough and ice over it. The person who gets the baby is supposed to be blessed with prosperity in the coming year. They are also responsible for hosting next year’s celebration.
Let’s get cooking! You will need only a few simple ingredients.
- 2 pkgs. of Jumbo Cinnamon Rolls
- Pan spray
- Colored Sugar Crystals in Purple, Yellow and Green
Begin by spraying a Tube pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Preheat the Oven to the temperature on the side of your Cinnamon Rolls.
Then open the Cinnamon Rolls and set the icing aside. Separate each Cinnamon Roll and place into the bottom of the Tube pan. They will be smashed together and that is fine. It really makes them soft.
Place in the oven and cook according to directions on the package of Cinnamon Rolls.
I used store brand ‘Ooey Gooey’ Cinnamon Rolls.
Cool completely before icing. Ice using the Icing packets which came in the Cinnamon Roll packages. After squeezing all the icing on, use a knife to spread it like frosting a cake.
I purchased my Sugar Sprinkles at Michael’s for a whopping $1 per package and yes I did use my 40% off coupon on one packet! Look in the Wedding supplies or Cake Decorating Supplies section.
Scroll Down for Printable Recipe
~~~Share This Recipe to Pinterest~~~
- 2 Cans of Jumbo Cinnamon Roll
- Green Sugar Sprinkles
- Yellow Sugar Sprinkles
- Purple Sugar Sprinkles
- Pan coating spray
- Preheat the oven according to Cinnamon Roll package instructions
- Open the Cinnamon Rolls and set the Icing packet aside
- Place separated Cinnamon Rolls into the bottom of a Tube Pan. You will have to cram them in tight so they all fit.
- Bake according to package directions.
- Cool Completely.
- Cove the top with the icing packets which came with the Cinnamon Rolls then spread with a knife as if you are frosting a cake.
- Sprinkle the three colors of sugar crystals in alternating sections on top of the icing beginning and ending with the same color. You should have three sections of each color.
- All done!
- Enjoy with your favorite dessert beverage!
To join next month’s #pinterestchallenge, click here to sign-up ⇒ March Pinterest Challenge
Now let’s see what other things Pinterest inspired! Head over and visit the other hosts to see what they crafted, cooked, built, or tried!
Erlene – My Pinterventures • Jenny – Cookies Coffee and Crafts
Debbee – Debbee’s Buzz • Bri – Halfpint Design • Julie – Sum of their Stories
T’onna – Sew Crafty Crochet • Beverly – Across the Boulevard • Debra – Shoppe No. 5
Roseann – This Autoimmune Life • Cherryl – Farm Girl Reformed
Leslie – Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After • Kelley – Simply Inspired Meals
Lydia – Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen •Joanne – Our Unschooling Journey
Kristie – Teadoddles • Gail – Purple Hues and Me • Ashley – Emory Farm
Kristie – Love My Little Cottage • Crissy – First Day of Home
Habiba – Craftify My Love • Marie – The Inspiration Vault • Emily – Domestic Deadline
Lauren – Mom Home Guide • Maria – Simple Nature Decor
Alexandra – Eye Love Knots • Lynne – My Family Thyme
Marci – Stone Cottage Adventures • Terrie – Decorate & More with Tip
Susan – SuzerSpace • Kim – Kimspired DIY • Pili – My Sweet Things
Kelli – K’s Olympic Nest • Erin – The DIY Nuts • Shirley – Intelligent Domestications
Pinterest Inspired Projects
- Vanilla Milkshake with Sprinkles Best Ever Summer Dessert - June 26, 2020
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe - June 22, 2020
- 4th of July Party Ideas-Summer Food, Decor & Games - June 15, 2020