My super easy Homemade King Cake recipe isn’t as much a recipe as it is How-To instructions. Celebrate Mardi Gras with this easy Cinnamon Roll King Cake you can whip up in no time. Make two because it’s vanishes quickly!
King Cake is to Mardi Gras what Sugar Cookies are to Christmas!
What is Mardi Gras? Let me break it down
- Mardi Gras is French for Fat Tuesday also known as Shrove Tuesday
- Shrove Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday.
- Ash Wednesday is a Christian Holy Day of prayer and fasting which begins the season of Lent. It takes place 46 days prior to Easter.
- Lent is a time of reflection and preparation for Christians prior to Easter. Lent lasts 40 days just as Jesus was tempted by Satan for 40 days. During Lent many Christians abstain from something in their life which is generally important to them such as desserts or alcohol. The abstention can be most anything these days including internet usage or social media. The idea is to fast from something you wouldn’t normally give up.
- Mardi Gras is a big celebration prior to the beginning of Lent.
What the colors mean on a Mardi Gras King Cake
The colors all have a special meaning on a Mardi Gras King Cake
- Purple represents justice
- Green represents faith
- Gold represents power
There is also a tiny little toy baby inserted into each King Cake. This can be achieved by simply cutting a small hole, insert the baby, replace the dough and ice over it. The person who gets the baby is supposed to be blessed with prosperity in the coming year. They are also responsible for hosting next year’s celebration.
Ingredients for Cinnamon Rolls King Cake Recipe
- 2 pkgs. of Jumbo Cinnamon Rolls
- Pan spray
- Colored Sugar Crystals in Purple, Yellow and Green
How To Make A Cinnamon Roll King Cake
Begin by spraying a Tube pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Preheat the Oven to the temperature on the side of your Cinnamon Rolls.
Then open the Cinnamon Rolls and set the icing aside. Separate each Cinnamon Roll and place into the bottom of the Tube pan. They will be smashed together and that is fine. It really makes them soft.
Place in the oven and cook according to directions on the package of Cinnamon Rolls.
I used store brand ‘Ooey Gooey’ Cinnamon Rolls from Walmart.
Cool completely before icing. Ice using the Icing packets which came in the Cinnamon Roll packages. After squeezing all the icing on, use a knife to spread it like frosting a cake.
I purchased my Sugar Sprinkles at Michael’s for a whopping $1 per package and yes I did use my 40% off coupon on one packet! Look in the Wedding supplies or Cake Decorating Supplies section.
Scroll Down for Printable Recipe
See these Mardi Gras Ideas:
A quick and easy King Cake recipe made with refrigerated cinnamon rolls.
- 2 Cans of Jumbo Cinnamon Roll
- Green Sugar Sprinkles
- Yellow Sugar Sprinkles
- Purple Sugar Sprinkles
- Pan coating spray
- Preheat the oven according to Cinnamon Roll package instructions
- Open the Cinnamon Rolls and set the Icing packet aside
- Spray a Tube pan with non-stick spray
- Place separated Cinnamon Rolls into the bottom of a Tube Pan. You will have to cram them in tight so they all fit.
- Bake according to package directions.
- Cool Completely.
- Cove the top with the icing packets which came with the Cinnamon Rolls then spread with a knife as if you are frosting a cake.
- Sprinkle the three colors of sugar crystals in alternating sections on top of the icing beginning and ending with the same color. You should have three sections of each color.
- All done!
Amount Per Serving Calories 50Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 86mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 0gSugar 5gProtein 0g
Nutrition information is estimated and may not be exact based on uncontrolled variables in home kitchens used by each individual cook.
No Bake Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries. Includes tips for melting chocolate.
- Easy Homemade Hot Fudge, use it for ice cream topping or drizzle on a Bundt cake or top any dessert with it.
- No-Churn Ice Cream Chocolate Toffee Flavor. You won’t believe how easy this is to whip up.
- No Bake Triple Berry Cheesecake Parfait. Don’t you love a fruity dessert too!
- Homemade Vanilla Milkshake, a nice treat on a hot day.
- Sweet & Salty Chocolate Caramel Nut Clusters. Make this candy for your sweetheart or for special occasion parties like the holidays.
- Classic Watergate Salad is nice to serve for Mother’s Day, brunches, Thanksgiving or summer or anytime.