Is Chicken Marsala one of your favorite dishes to order in a restaurant? Mine too. My recipe has no butter and no cream, so I purposefully left out a few calories! The Marsala wine and mushrooms are the stars of this dish.
I searched far and wide for an easy Chicken Marsala recipe to cook at home. I kept finding recipes with tons of ingredients and too many steps.
Finally I decided to create my own recipe with few ingredients without sacrificing the flavor of the dish. My mantra is Frugal Living, Easy Recipes! We enjoy eating good food on a budget and we make that happen by adapting recipes with few ingredients without sacrificing taste.
Also See: 3 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ Chicken Wings
This was my first time ever cooking Chicken Marsala so I was just crossing my fingers. I’ve always heard “it’s the finger that stirs the pot that makes the food good.”
My favorite skillet for preparing stove top dishes like this Chicken Marsala is my big Emeril 3 qt. stainless steel skillet. I’ve had mine a few years, it’s available on Amazon now in 4 qt. size. (affiliate)
Use this easy tip to thicken any gravy: Dip a small amount of the gravy from the skillet into a glass bowl or cup. Add about 1 tsp. of cornstarch into the cup and stir vigorously until there are no lumps. Pour back into the skillet and stir well into the gravy.
Also See: Oven Baked Smothered Cubed Steak Recipe
My Chicken Marsala recipes has only 7 ingredients! There are multiple steps but they are not complicated. Be sure to read the recipe completely through before beginning so you will be able to anticipate each step.
Most restaurants serve mashed potatoes with their Chicken Marsala. Who am I to stray from a good menu? Grab my Homemade Mashed Potatoes recipe too.
My hubby declared this recipe better than restaurant quality so I consider it to be a success. Great weeknight meal idea or for special occasions. They will think you were in the kitchen for hours!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 Cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 12 oz. bottle of Marsala cooking wine
- Cut each piece of chicken in half to create 2 thin slices from one piece. You can achieve this by placing a hand on top of each piece and slicing parallel to your hand, carefully.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet.
- Place the flour in a resealable plastic bag and toss each piece of chicken to coat.
- Place the floured chicken into the heated oil and brown on both sides.
- Drain browned chicken on paper toweling.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper onto chicken.
- Pour off all but about 1 Tbsp. of the oil from the skillet.
- To the remaining hot oil add the entire bottle of Marsala wine and boil for about 1 minute, stirring and scraping the pan constantly. (you want to stir in those yummy bits of pan drippings)
- Continue to simmer until gravy thickens. (Easy tip to thicken gravy; dip up a small amount of the gravy into a bowl and stir in 1 tsp. cornstarch until all lumps are gone then pour back into skillet and stir well)
- Add the mushrooms and chicken into the Marsala gravy.
- Simmer about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Easy Classic Lasagna Recipe (7 Ingredients)
- Glazed Baked Spam (3 Ingredients)
- Parmesan Italian Crusted Salmon (4 Ingredients)
- 6 Ingredient Chicken Recipe Ideas @My Pinterventures