Chicken Breast Recipe
Looking for a chicken recipe you haven’t tried yet? Me too! Have you seen the price of beef these days! Once the price goes up, no matter the reason, chances of it ever coming back down are never good. What do we do? We are simply going to expand our culinary skills by trying out more chicken recipes for the time being. I have been meaning to make this one for a while!
What Is Chicken Cordon Bleu
A perfectly legitimate question to folks like me. Sure you know it’s a stuffed chicken breast but why in the world can’t they just call it that! Cordon Bleu means ‘Blue ribbon’ in French. You knew it had something to do with a French food reference, right? We relate the blue ribbon to a prize winning, anything but in this case we are referring to a popular chicken recipe. It basically means this chicken recipe is really good.
Creamy Butter Sauce Ingredients
There is a yummy creamy butter sauce to drizzle over each piece. Anytime there is a sauce involved, you know the meal is going to be good. Another thing you may realize is that serving potatoes as a side dish is perfectly acceptable.
- Chicken broth
- Greek Yogurt
- Heavy Cream or Half and half
- Dijon mustard
- Unsalted butter
- All Purpose flour
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
You will prepare the sauce while the chicken is still in the oven but wait until the chicken is almost done. This is so the sauce can be poured over the Chicken and served while still hot.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Ingredients
The ingredient list at first glance looks like more than it really is. Most of these ingredients are already in your kitchen. Chances are the only things you need to shop for is the chicken breasts, ham and cheese.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Sliced deli ham
- Sliced baby Swiss cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper
- All-purpose flour
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Large eggs
- Panko bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese, grated
Chicken Recipes To Save
As you know there are certain recipes we must save and this is one of those! Print it and stick into your personal collection of recipes you’d cook again. Admittedly, this restaurant style dish is some extra trouble to make but it’s worth it. You can absolutely make this for a weeknight meal or save for special occasions.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 slices deli ham
- 8 slices baby Swiss cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¾ Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 Cup water
- 1½ Cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ Cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1½ Cups chicken broth
- ¼ Cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ Cup heavy cream or Half-n-half
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cButter unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ Cup all-purpose flour
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ Parmesan cheese, grated
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Set
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with
a meat mallet or rolling pin until ¼” thick.
- Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of deli ham and 2 slices of Swiss cheese.
Tightly jelly roll each chicken breast and secure with toothpicks. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and set aside.
- Add the flour, ½ Tablespoon Italian seasoning, and garlic powder to a
shallow bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs and water to a second bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and remaining Italian seasoning to
a third bowl. Lightly season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired,
and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the seasoned flour until covered on all
sides. Then dip the floured breasts into the egg wash and roll until coated.
Finally, roll the egg-covered breasts in the seasoned breadcrumb mixture until
- Transfer each breast to the prepared baking sheet and place in the
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of just below 165°F.
- When the chicken is almost ready to come out of the oven, combine the
chicken broth, Greek yogurt, heavy cream, and Dijon mustard in a medium bowl.
Stir to combine and set aside.
- Add the butter to a small skillet set over medium heat. Stir occasionally until melted. Slowly whisk the flour in a little at a time until completely blended into the butter without any lumps remaining.
- Stir in the yogurt mixture and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook for several minutes, whisking continually, until the sauce thickens and is heated through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Remove chicken from oven and let cool for several minutes before slicing. Serve
immediately topped with the butter sauce and your choice of sides.
You can substitute the Panko bread crumbs for a Gluten Free version linked below if you like.
This recipe serves 4 when each person receives a whole chicken breast, however you can cut them in half to serve 8 or adjust according the number of servings you need.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KING ARTHUR FLOUR Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Mix, 24 Ounce, Pack of 6
Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard (8 oz Jar)
Jeff Nathan Creations Chef Gourmet Panko Plain Gluten Free, 15 Ounce
OXO Good Grips 9-Inch Whisk
AmazonBasics Silicone, Non-Stick, Food Safe Baking Mat - Pack of 4
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
***FOLLOW Our CHICKEN RECIPES Board on Pinterest***
More Chicken Recipes
- Baked BBQ Chicken Leg Quarters
- Smothered Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Crockpot Zesty Italian Leg Quarters
- Stovetop Grilled Easy Chicken Parmesan
- Cheeze It Crusted Baked Chicken Tenders (Air Fryer & Oven)
- 3 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ Chicken Wings
- Crockpot Ranch Chicken Sliders
- Chicken Prosciutto Saltimbocca
- Chicken and Cheese Eggs Skillet (Perfect Holiday breakfast or breakfast for supper)