Southern Pear & Cherry Salad is not only one of the prettiest dishes you will ever place on your dinner table but one of the most yummy too. Don’t wait for a special occasion to make this dish, it’s perfect for weeknight meals.
It’s almost unreasonable to even refer to the instructions as a recipe but alas, we must. I wish I could share with you the first time I ever enjoyed a Southern Pear & Cherry Salad but we’ve been eating them for so long, I simply don’t remember.
- 1 (15oz.) can of pear halves
- ½ Cup sharp shredded cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Maraschino cherries
- Optional: Use cottage cheese instead of mayonnaise
- Place your pears onto a bed of lettuce leaves for a more attractive and colorful dish
- Drain juice from pear halves and place onto a serving plate.
- Place a dollop of mayonnaise onto each pear half.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Top with one maraschino cherry.
- Serve and enjoy.
When I make this fruit salad for a weeknight dinner, I don’t worry about placing the pears onto a bed of lettuce. However any self respecting southern cook taking this dish to an event wouldn’t dare forget that bed of lettuce! We also use only Duke’s mayonnaise.
This is what happens when I make an executive decision to have a bowl of pear salad for lunch but only have 3 maraschino cherries left in the jar. I don’t let that stop me. I toss raisins on top and make no effort whatsoever to keep the mayo exactly on top of each pear half.
A bowl of Southern Pear & Cherry Salad for lunch is a healthy lunch, right?
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter
You May Also Like
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- 12 Things To Know Before Visiting A Corn Maze Plus Our Big Georgia List - September 22, 2017
- Easy Classic Lasagna Recipe - September 21, 2017
- How To Cook Boiled Peanuts - September 20, 2017