Steamed Stewed Squash and Onions with Bacon
There are a few summer favorites you will always find in our kitchen during the summer months; watermelon, fresh tomatoes and fresh yellow squash! This Steamed Stewed Squash & Onions with Bacon recipe has been around in my family for as many years as I can remember. Nothing has changed about the way it is cooked and that is as it should be. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?!
Now while I do season this dish with cut up bacon pieces, THERE IS NO BUTTER IN THIS RECIPE!
In fact, there are really only 3 ingredients plus the seasoning!
Peel and slice your squash into rounds. You could cut up the long way like French fries to get rid of the seeds, but you lose a lot of meat when you do that so we just enjoy the seeds too. Squash ‘cooks down’ like cabbage, so after it is done, there is much less than you started out with. Keep that in mind when determining servings.
Cut up your onions however you prefer. I cut them in rings, not too thin. We prefer to season sort of heavy with the pepper! Some foods are great with heavy pepper. I love my Crab Meat Stew heavy on the pepper but I add extra to my serving bowl, not the pot when cooking my Crab Meat Stew recipe.
Add everything to the skillet, turn the burner on medium heat, cover with the lid and cook until done. Stir occasionally but replace the lid which allows the steam to form. Do not add water. Steam will occur naturally with the lid on.
Cut each piece of bacon into 3 pieces. It looks like there is a LOT of bacon but it’s really only just a 3 or 4 slices cut up. This is a nice summer meal, meat included. All you need is some Waffle Iron Cornbread to go with it. Don’t turn on the oven in the summer, make your cornbread in the waffle iron like I did HERE.
- 4 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 large onion cut into rounds
- 3 or 4 slices of bacon, cut up
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Peel and cut the squash into rounds, not too thin
- Peel and slice the onion into rounds also not too thin
- Cut each slice of bacon into 3 pieces
- Place cut up squash, onions and bacon into a large skillet.
- Season to taste with Salt & Pepper.
- Cook on Medium heat with lid on the pan until tender.
- Stir occasionally but be sure to replace the lid to allow the steam to formulate.
- Serve & Enjoy!
We have been brave and planted a couple of Yellow Summer Squash plants in our little above ground garden this year! We shall see how they do, we are hoping to be able to enjoy our favorite squash dish into late summer and early fall. You can see our little garden in my Summer 2015 Yard & Garden Tour.
How do you cook your favorite summer vegetables?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Vanilla Milkshake with Sprinkles Best Ever Summer Dessert - June 26, 2020
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe - June 22, 2020
- 4th of July Party Ideas-Summer Food, Decor & Games - June 15, 2020