Our Southern Style Cabbage Soup will quickly become a family favorite. This warm and hearty dish is frugal to prepare and great for year round cooking.
They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. Anytime I tell my husband I am making Cabbage Soup for dinner, he calls me a few extra times during his work day!
This recipe is being shared at the Souper Bowl 2015 Soup & Chili Cook Off Linky Party. You can find lots of soup, stew and chili recipes at the party, here.
Having been born and raised in the south, I grew up eating Cabbage soup cooked just like this, seasoned with ham bits and served with a side of cornbread. You can find my printable Cornbread recipe here and an unusual but fun way to cook your cornbread here.
Benefits of Cabbage Soup include:
- 1/2 cup of cooked cabbage provides 47% of your daily Vitamin C*
- 1/2 cup also provides 102% of Vitamin K*
- Cabbage contains antioxidants
- Cabbage soup is a frugal meal
How to Buy Cabbage
Select a head of cabbage which is firm and compact. Any markings may indicate damage such as worm damage. Typically at the grocery store you will find heads of cabbage with all of the loose outer dark green leaves already removed. If you want to use the darker green outer leaves, shop at your local farmers market for locally grown cabbage. Cabbage is a cooler weather crop so it should be available fresh throughout the winter months.
Southern Style Cabbage Soup
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 pkg. (8oz.) Ham bits
- 2 Cups Chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Bring the chicken broth to boil in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the ham bits to the water.
- Cut the cabbage into bite size pieces. Do not shred.
- Add the cabbage to the broth.
- Add the salt and sugar and stir.
- Allow to boil gently until the cabbage has become tender, about 30-45 minutes. The cabbage will turn a lighter color while cooking. You may need to add water to keep the cabbage covered so you will have plenty of juice for your soup. You can either add water or more chicken broth if you have it available.
- Serve and enjoy!
When we cook Cabbage Soup here in the south, we generally say we are having Cabbage and cornbread for supper. It is a true southern favorite! What is your favorite soup?
More from our site
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Planner Set - November 13, 2018
- Thanksgiving Menu Including Grocery List & Recipes - November 12, 2018
- Crockpot Side Dish Recipes - November 11, 2018