No Recipe Required for these Basil Grilled Tomatoes
Not many summer back yard gardens are missing at least one tomato plant. Tomatoes bring us so much joy in the form of a good old fashioned ‘mater sammich’ slathered with mayonnaise and generously doused with salt & pepper between two slices of your favorite loaf bread.
My Daddy loved stewed tomatoes year around and Momma knew how to cook them just exactly right too. You have to add just a pinch of sugar to cut the acid in the tomatoes. Don’t over cook them either, that’s important. It was almost tomato soup but not quite. They both would have loved these Basil Grilled Tomatoes!
No recipe required because it’s so simple, you need a tomato and some dried basil. Oh sure, you can use some fresh basil but the dried reacts to the heating process and releases the flavor into the tomato.
- Dried Basil
- Slice your tomatoes thick.
- Spray the griddle with non-stick spray.
- Place your tomato slices onto the griddle.
- Sprinkle each slice with your desired amount of dried Basil.
- Cook about 3 or 4 minutes until nice and hot.
- If desired, top with y our favorite type of cheese and allow it to melt.
- Serve and Enjoy!
The trick for making the cheese fit the tomato is to cut it with a the rim of a small glass. Find a glass about the size of your tomato. I used provolone cheese. I shared a picture on Instagram of these tomatoes when I had just placed them on the griddle, you can see that picture and follow our Instagram HERE.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Campfire Grilled Chicken & Veggie Foil Packet Dinner
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Repurpose Mayonnaise Jars Into Pretty Craft Storage Containers - February 22, 2018
- 10 Restaurants Where The Locals Eat In Macon, Ga. - February 21, 2018
- Breakfast In Minutes Jimmy Dean Simple Scrambles® - February 20, 2018