Apple Banana Muffins with Oats
Our Apple Banana Oat Nut Muffins recipe is a scrumptious, healthier breakfast. My recipe has no butter and is packed with fresh apple tidbits and bananas!
Did you know that you can freeze bananas? Peel them first! Bananas have a tendency to over ripen so very quickly, don’t they! Peel them, and freeze them whole in freezer bags and you will have bananas at the ready for smoothies, bread or any recipe which calls for mashed bananas.
INSPIRED BY ELLIE
My almost 2 years old great niece, Ellie, stayed with us when her new baby brother was born recently. You can read about his interesting arrival here. Ellie calls muffins, ‘cup cakes’! Isn’t that just precious! Imagine how slick we think we are handing those healthy nutritious muffins over to a child who thinks she is eating cup cakes! She doesn’t even care that they don’t have icing on them!
Inspired by Ellie, I got busy in my kitchen this week and created my own recipe for Apple Banana Oat Nut Muffins. I had all of the ingredients to make banana nut bread but I also had some apples so I decided to incorporate them into the recipe as well for some added flavor, natural sweetener and a little punch of Vitamin C.
Apples are rich in Vitamins B, C and Fiber. They are even believed to lower bad cholesterol. Once my husband read that we started keeping apples in the kitchen all the time. We frequently enjoy an apple as our afternoon snack.
Cooking with apples is one of my favorite things. They are good for sweet and savory recipes. I even enjoy apples simmered with onions as a topping for pork chops! Yummy! If you type ‘APPLE’ into the Search Bar on this blog, you can scroll lots of apple recipes.
Scroll down for the printable recipe
BIG CHUNKS OF APPLES
I peeled and chopped my apple in the mini food processor which makes the apple pieces very small and even pulverized. If you want larger apple chunks in your muffins, chop by hand on your cutting board.
HOT OR COLD
These muffins are good cold to me but you can heat them for a few seconds in the microwave if you prefer warm muffins.
These muffins are easy to make and kid friendly. They mix by hand using a whisk so there is no need to take out the mixer for this one! We skipped the butter in our streusel topping. It is just a little brown sugar and oatmeal mixture you will sprinkle on top before baking.
Bananas are naturally sweet and the more ripe they are, the sweeter they are. So we use ripe bananas for our natural sweetener and we only use 1/2 cup of sugar in this recipe.
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1 large ripe sweet apple
- 2 cups sifted all purpose whole wheat flour
- ½ cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts) Optional
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon OPTIONAL
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Cup 2% milk
- 1/4 Cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix the brown sugar and rolled oats together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sift flour into mixing bowl and stir in all the dry ingredients.
- Peel and mash the bananas into a separate bowl.
- Peel the apple, core and cut into tiny tidbits.
- Mix the apple and bananas together, stir well. Add in the dry ingredients along with the egg, nuts and milk. Stir the mixture well by hand for several minutes. Batter will be lumpy.
- Fill prepared muffin cups ⅔ full with batter and top with a sprinkling of the streusel topping.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Oven temperatures vary. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve and enjoy! These muffins are good hot or cold.
Amount Per Serving Calories 193Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 17mgSodium 411mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 4gSugar 18gProtein 5g
Nutrition information is estimated and may not be exact based on uncontrolled variables in home kitchens used by each individual cook.
More Apple & Banana Recipes
Want to see just how versatile recipes really are? See These 35 Snack, Dessert & Drink Recipes Using Bananas include unique ways to incorporate bananas into recipes.
One of our most popular dessert recipes made in the Crockpot is this 3 Ingredient Crockpot Apple Dumplings
My favorite Easy Banana Bread recipe is stirred by hand. No need to get out the mixer. Slice it thick and make French Toast with it when it is a couple of days old.
Focusing on breakfast recipes using bananas, we curated this list of 29 Yummy Ways To Use Bananas for Breakfast.
More Breakfast Recipes
- The Secret To Cooking Good Grits
- French Loaf Breakfast Omelet
- Baked Egg & Veggie Muffin Cup Omelets
- 30+ Make Ahead Back to School Breakfast Recipes
Must Have Kitchen Tools