Meat & Potato Casserole Recipe
This meat and cheese with potatoes casserole is a mainstay for families eating dinner at home. The simple recipe comes together quickly and bakes to a hot cheesy rib-sticking meal.
Layers of ground beef hugged potatoes with melted cheese and a cream of mushroom soup gravy to swim in makes a delicious reliable casserole.
My family refers to this recipe as simply “The Casserole”. My cousin came to our home and prepared this recipe for us when my baby girl was born many years ago. It has been a family favorite since.
This article contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure Policy.
The original recipe, ground beef and potato casserole has transitioned through the years to include some favorite additions like mushrooms and onions sometimes. See this recipe I created for Jazzed Up Meat and Potato Casserole.
Simple, common ingredients make this delicious ground beef potato casserole. We like ours heavy on the pepper. Scroll down for a list of ingredients you can use to make variations of the recipe.
- 1 lb. Ground beef, browned and drained (or ground turkey)
- 1 Can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can diced potatoes, drained (or sliced potatoes)
- ½ cup milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup French fried onions
Spray a large 2 quart casserole dish, like this one, with non-stick spray and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°.
Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain the grease and pour the meat into a large bowl.
In the large bowl with the cooked ground beef, add the cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper to taste, diced potatoes and milk. Stir to combine and pour into the prepared baking dish.
I have used both sliced and diced potatoes in the recipe. We prefer the diced potatoes. I have also peeled and diced fresh potatoes then boiled them until they are tender and that is quite delicious too. If you boil your own potatoes, reserve 1/2 cup of the juice when you drain the potatoes and substitute that for the milk in the recipe for added flavor.
Place the baking dish into the oven on the middle rack and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
Remove the hot casserole dish from oven and top with the shredded cheese and French fried onions. Then return the dish to the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt which should take about 3 to 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Meat and Potato Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef cooked and drained
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 15 oz. can diced potatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup milk, 2% is fine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup french fried onions
- Spray a large casserole dish (11 x 13 ) with non-stick spray and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain the grease and pour the meat into a large bowl.
- In the large bowl with the cooked ground beef, add the cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper to taste, diced potatoes and milk. Stir to combine and pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Place the baking dish into the oven on the middle rack and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Remove the hot casserole dish from oven and top with the shredded cheese and French fried onions. Then return the dish to the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt which should take about 3 to 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Cook this hamburger potato casserole for a weeknight dinner or take it to a potluck
This meat and potato casserole with cream of mushroom soup can be flavored many different ways depending on what your family likes.
- Sliced fresh mushrooms
- Diced fresh onions
- Chopped peppers
- Cooked chopped bacon
- Fresh cooked potatoes instead of canned
- Cream of celery soup instead of cream of mushroom
- Chicken stock instead of milk
As you might imagine, this casserole is even better when you cook the potatoes from scratch. The beauty of a casserole is the simplicity and ease of preparation when using canned foods especially for busy cooks! We are all busy cooks these days, right?!
More Casserole Recipes
- Cheesy Sausage Pasta Casserole Recipe
- Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Vegetable Casserole
- Crockpot Pierogi & Meatballs Alfredo Easy Recipe
- Mom’s Squash Casserole Recipe
- Easy Classic Lasagna Recipe
- Crockpot Broccoli, Sausage & Pasta Casserole
Originally published Jan. 7, 2014
This weather is perfect for that casserole! I know I’ve made it before, but it’s been a long, long time. Thanks for sharing. I will have to make it soon. Looks so good.
I can’t get my son and husband to eat casseroles, but I like them. This would be perfect for me to take to work though. Me and the ladyl I work with bring in something to share once a week.
Amanda, my daughter has that problem at her house. Some people just don’t like casseroles, that’s ok! Your co-workers will enjoy it 🙂
My hubby would love this! He’s a real meat-and-potatoes kinda guy!
My hubby is a meat and potatoes man too. He always gets excited when I tell him that I’m making this :-0
Yum! This looks delicious and is so easy to fix… love it. Pinned! 🙂
Life With Lorelai
Thanks for the Pin Lorelai! It is an easy to prepare, one dish meal!
This is so simple! I hear you on cold weather and comfort food. Sups, casseroles and stews are just the right thing for now.
It sure is soup, stew and casserole weather!