What could be better than a family favorite Meat & Potato Casserole for some tasty stick-to-the-ribs hot comfort food?
My family refers to this recipe as simply “The Casserole”. My cousin came to our home and prepared this recipe for us when my baby girl was born many years ago. It has been a family favorite since.
The original recipe has transitioned through the years to include some favorite additions like mushrooms and onions sometimes.
- 1 lb. Ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 Can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can sliced potatoes
- ½ cup milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix the first 5 ingredients together and pour into a prepared casserole dish,
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and top with cheese and French fried onions
- Return to oven just long enough to melt the cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Fresh cooked potatoes instead of canned
- Cream of celery soup instead of cream of mushroom
- Chicken stock instead of milk
We are cooking for two so I always make a small casserole. I have been known to double the ingredients so we would have enough leftovers for the next day. We love this casserole at my house!
As you might imagine, this casserole is even better when you cook the potatoes from scratch. The beauty of a casserole is the simplicity and ease of preparation when using canned foods especially for busy cooks! We are all busy cooks these days, right?!
This is a good casserole for a pot-luck gathering, not only because it’s so yummy but
What is your family’s favorite casserole?
- Year-Round Indoor Salad Gardening: How to Grow Nutrient-Dense, Soil-Sprouted Greens in Less Than 10 days: Book Review - April 12, 2021
- Ultimate Easter Magic Cookie Bars Recipe - March 31, 2021
- Classic Homemade Hash Browns Easy Recipe - March 29, 2021