Our Oven Baked Homestyle Fries taste like they were deep fried but they are not. There is an easy little trick to making delicious crispy baked fries!
One day this week, I plan to make Sloppy Joe’s and French fries for dinner. We have been super duper busy around here, so a quick easy meal is in order. Sometimes you just want ‘real’ potato fries and not the frozen kind,right.
Oven Baked Homestyle Fries are our side dish of choice when we are enjoying some good ol’ Sloppy Joes’s for dinner! They look deep fried, don’t they?! They tasted deep fried too.
More Weeknight Meal Ideas:
- Foil Pack Dinner with Zucchini, Drumsticks & Red Potatoes
- Baked Chicken Tenders
- Crockpot Lemon Pepper Wings
- Easy Chicken Marsala Recipe
Begin with fresh potatoes which you will peel and cut up into your desired size. A handy tool to have for cutting french fries is a Mandolin slicer. (affiliate link) I love mine because it makes the job so much easier and yields uniform size for whatever vegetable you are slicing. I cannot stress enough though that you must be careful when using a Mandolin. Those blades are super sharp!
After peeling and slicing your potatoes, rinse them under running water in a colander. Rinsing will remove any debris and some of the excess starch from the potatoes.
Now, cover the potatoes in a bowl with hot water from the faucet. Let them sit in the water for only about 10 minutes and drain. (I have skipped this step when I was in a hurry and I didn’t think they turned out quite as good)
Then drain them on paper toweling. I like to also take another paper towel and pat dry the tops so there is no water remaining on the potatoes.
Next place the potatoes in a bowl and drizzle with about 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil. Now toss the potatoes around in the bowl so the oil covers all of the potatoes.
You can see the oil on the sides of the bowl. 1 Tbsp. doesn’t sound like much but it covers well. This is three medium sized fresh cut potatoes.
Prepare a large baking pan with sides by pouring about 2 Tablespoons of Olive oil onto the pan and tilting it from side to side until the oil has spread evenly across the bottom of the pan.
Now spread the potatoes out onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Cover with foil and bake at 475° for the first 5 minutes. Remove the foil, turn the potatoes over and continue baking until golden brown in about 15 to 20 minutes. Oven temps vary so your’s may bake slower or quicker so keep a check on them.
Season with salt while they are hot when they first come out of the oven!
They were just as yummy as they look and it was great to enjoy fries without deep frying! Only 3 Tbsp. of Olive oil is used for these delicious crispy Oven Baked Fries!
~Share This Recipe To Pinterest!~
- 2-3 Russet potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Seasoning Salt to taste
- Peel and slice the potatoes. (Potato peelings are great for the compost bin)
- Rinse the potatoes in a colander to remove excess starch. Then place the potatoes into a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the water from the potatoes, then spread the potatoes across paper toweling to dry.
- While the potatoes are drying, prepare a large baking pan by spreading 2 Tbsp. Olive oil around the bottom to evenly coat the entire bottom.You should be using a baking pan with sides. This will be a very thin layer of oil. Place the dry potatoes into a bowl. Pour 1 Tbsp. of Olive oil over them and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the desired amount of Seasoning Salt across the top of the oil in the baking pan and place the potatoes in a single layer on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 475°. Cover with foil for the first 5 minutes. Remove the foil and turn the potatoes over to allow them to cook evenly on both sides. You may wish to turn your potatoes over one more time for even cooking. Oven temps vary but they should be done in about 15 to 20 minutes
- Drain on paper toweling and serve!
- Vanilla Milkshake with Sprinkles Best Ever Summer Dessert - June 26, 2020
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe - June 22, 2020
- 4th of July Party Ideas-Summer Food, Decor & Games - June 15, 2020