Our Easy Chopped Steak recipe is great for weeknight dinners. My made from scratch recipe is restaurant quality and even better because it’s homemade. I have included a Mushroom Gravy recipe too!
I get it, everyone doesn’t love mushrooms as much as I do. So just leave them out of your recipe. No problem. Want onions with your mushrooms, just add them in.
My recipe includes making homemade gravy using the renderings from browning the chopped steaks. Gravy is something you can learn to make with practice.
Looking for more ground beef recipes? Try these:
Our Easy Classic Lasagna recipe is one of those cook once, eat twice meals we all love! Italian food is often even better the next day and that’s why we make premeditated leftovers.
Italian dinners for a weeknight meal are a favorite around here. It’s that cheesy deliciousness we all love. That’s why I created this recipe for Crockpot Three Cheese Stuffed Manicotti. Pick up some Italian bread from the delic and make this Italian butter to go with it for a complete restaurant quality meal.
Make this Easy Swedish Meatballs recipe but double the recipe and save some meatballs in the freezer for Spaghetti and Meatballs later in the week. I like to make Meatball Sandwiches with leftover meatballs.
Here is an all time family favorite in our house. Both of my grown daughters make this casserole for their families now too. There are many variations you can use to this Jazzed Up Meat and Potato Casserole.
Ingredients for Simple Homemade Chopped Steak Recipe
- Ground Beef
- Beefy Onion Soup Mix (Like this)
- Fresh Mushrooms
- Worcestershire Sauce (Like this)
- Beef Broth (Like this)
No Salt Added
Seriously, the dry beefy onion soup mix packs plenty of flavor into these this easy chopped steak recipe. There is salt in the mix which is why I leave additional salt out of my recipe.
This same meat mixture makes delicious burgers for the grill! This is such a simple and easy recipe to prepare for homemade chopped steak. Double all the ingredients and make hamburger patties to freeze for later!
How To Simmer The Chopped Steak with Gravy
Simmer without the lid. Adding the lid will cause condensation and make your gravy watery. Just be sure to simmer on low so your gravy doesn’t boil out. Continue to stir occasionally.
If you want onions, add them into the gravy just before placing the meat back into the skillet. You can add peeled and sliced onions beneath and on top of the meat along with the mushrooms.
How Big To Make Each Chopped Steak
So the size of the actual Chopped Steak depends totally on how big you make them when you form them between your hands.
I am feeding 3 adults and this recipe suits us. I make five good size chopped steaks using one pound of ground beef.
If I want to premeditate leftovers, I’d add more meat and adjust the rest of the ingredients accordingly. You will want to use a larger skillet to be able to make them all in one pan.
Ground Beef Shrinks During Cooking
Remember these beef patties are going to shrink while cooking so it is fine to over-crowd the skillet in the beginning.
Side Dishes To Serve with Chopped Steak and Gravy
- Homemade Mashed Potatoes are a perfect side dish with any meat cooked in gravy. See our delicious Homemade Mashed Potato recipe
- Rice. Brown has more fiber but white rice is good too.
- Baked Stuffed Potatoes with Mushrooms and Onions (these could be a meal by themselves!)
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Glaze
A simple easy recipe for Homemade Chopped Steak using ground beef. This recipe makes a yummy weeknight meal that sticks-to-the-ribs.
- 1 lb. ground beef (preferably ground chuck)
- 1 pkg. dry beefy onion soup mix
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Cups beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 container sliced Portobello mushrooms, rinsed
- Mix the first five ingredients together in a bowl until well blended.
- Shape into patties by rolling into a ball in your hands then flattening between your palms. (I wear these disposable kitchen gloves)
- Brown both sides of meat in a large skillet on medium high heat. Drain on paper toweling.
- While the meat is on the paper toweling, make the gravy as follows.
- Drain all but about 1 Tbsp. of meat renderings from skillet and return to heat.
- With heat on medium high, sprinkle the flour into the meat renderings stirring with a whisk to break up lumps.
- Pour the beef broth into the skillet slowly as the steam will quickly rise.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the steaks back into the gravy.
- Pour the mushrooms into the skillet.
- Cook, uncovered, on low until mushrooms and meat are done, about 20-25 minutes. Gravy will continue to thicken.
- Mushrooms are optional.
- Peeled and sliced Onions may be added along with the Mushrooms if desired.
- This recipe can be doubled to feed more people.
Amount Per Serving Calories 237Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 98mgSodium 507mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 23g
Nutrition information is provided as an estimate. Exact nutrition facts are affected by products and brands used.
- Make This Easy Autumn Mug As A Beginner Cricut Project - September 29, 2020
- Gluten Free Delicious Baked Apple Crisp Recipe - September 28, 2020
- 33 Halloween Movies The Whole Family Will Love To Watch - September 14, 2020