Have you ever tried the three meat house special at your favorite Mexican restaurant? We only recently discovered that all of our local Mexican restaurants have the exact same house special. Who knew,right!
We both love the three meat house special so much, I decided to create a copycat recipe we could enjoy at home. It’s good but we will still order it when we go out for Mexican food.
You have choices with the house special. It comes with or without the peppers and we prefer without. They will also leave the onions or mushrooms out if you prefer. I wouldn’t dream of leaving grilled onions and mushrooms out of mine!
We begin by sauteing the mushrooms and onions in about a half stick of melted butter and we sprinkle it all with fajita seasoning.
I used my big electric skillet to prepare our Mexican Three Meat House Special recipe. One dish dinners are quite popular for weeknight meals around here.
My electric skillet is fully submersible for easy clean up but I’ve got my eye on this one because the handles are removable for easy storage and it’s dishwasher safe! Plus it is a number one best seller on Amazon!
Be sure to keep the lid on as much as possible to allow the food to create it’s on juicy steam.
- 1 lb. beef stir fry meat
- ½ lb. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 boneless skinless chicken tenderloins, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 pkgs. (1 oz.) Fajita seasoning
- 1 large onion cut into long thin slices
- 1 pkg. sliced Baby Bella fresh mushrooms
- 1 Cup rice
- 2 Cups plus 1 Tbsp. water
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 (16 oz.) container White Cheese Dip
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of fajita seasoning to the boiling water. Stir in rice and cook according to directions on rice package.
- Pour remaining fajita seasoning from open pkg. into a large bowl or ziploc bag. Add 1 Tbsp. water and all the meats.
- Shake or stir to cover meat with seasoning and allow to marinade while rice is cooking.
- Now, peel and cut the onion into long thin strips.
- Melt 4 Tbsp of butter in large skillet over medium high heat
- Stir in mushrooms and onions.
- Sprinkle with remaining fajita seasoning package.
- Cook about 10 minutes until beginning to become tender, stirring occasionally
- Keep the lid on as much as possible after each time you stir.
- Add chicken and cook about 2 o 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, replace lid
- Then add beef and cook about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, replace lid
- Finally add the shrimp and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Melt the white cheese dip in the microwave according to package directions.
- Serve meat combo over a bed of rice which has been covered with white cheese. Pour additional white cheese over top of meat combo as desired.
As with most recipes, there are variations you can use. We do not care for spicy food at our house but if your family wants some kick, add it in! I recommend adding a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the marinade and maybe even into the rice water if you like.
You can also saute some peppers along with the mushrooms and onions if you like. Some Mexican restaurants offer an option which includes peppers.
Stop by our Entree page for more weeknight meal ideas.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure policy.
We link up at these blog parties.
More delicious recipe ideas using Shrimp
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Gold and Green Glass & Natural Thanksgiving Tablescape - November 21, 2017
- Ideas To Make Thanksgiving Fun For Kids & Merry Monday Link Up #181 - November 19, 2017
- Thanksgiving Pilgrim Creamer Bottle Kids Craft - November 19, 2017