Our Citrus Cake packs fruity flavors into a moist and delicious dessert for any season.
One of our most memorable and yummy cakes was the Rainbow Layer Cake we made a few years ago. It had 4 layers and was a lot of work but the flavors were wonderful. This Citrus Cake recipe is a spin off of the Rainbow cake.
Cake don’t usually last long at our house. While we always enjoy the family favorites like my husbands Strawberry Cake with that Strawberry Cream Cheese frosting, we also like to try new recipes. Sometimes we get in the kitchen and make up something completely new like this combination of tropical fruity flavors lemon,lime and orange all packed into one layer cake.
Have some fun with frosting and decorating cakes you bake. Every single cake does not have to look like you picked it up from a professional bakery. Just something simple like I did using a butter knife on this Citrus cake. If I knew how to do elaborate decor, I probably would do it but frankly, simplicity is a great thing!
Just like the Rainbow Layer cake, flavored jello is our secret ingredient in this Citrus cake.
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- Egg Whites according to box directions
- Oil according to box directions
- Water according to box directions
- 1 Box Lime jello
- 1 Box Orange jello
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 small pkg. Lemon jello
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- Juice of 1 or 2 limes
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Divide prepared cake mix into two bowls with equal amounts.
- Stir entire box of orange jello into one bowl of batter and mix thoroughly until well blended.
- Stir entire box of lime jello into the other bowl of cake batter and mix until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared 8" round cake pans and bake until done according to package directions. Cake is done when separating from sides of pan and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- FROSTING DIRECTIONS
- Sift the confectioners sugar to remove lumps.
- Fluff the cream cheese with the mixer. Add powdered sugar a little at a time blending well as you go. Add the box of lemon jello and blend well.
- Squeeze lime juice into the mix and continue to blend until the correct consistency. If you get the frosting too thin, add more confectioners sugar.If it is too thick add more lime juice.
The Citrus Cake only requires 6 ingredients. The Lemon Lime frosting is only 4 ingredients. We are putting one of those tricks with cake mixes to work and the whole process is easy peasy!
More fun ideas you may enjoy
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Clever Ways To Repurpose Clothes Hangers For Storage - January 21, 2020
- 10 Most Popular Recipes and Home Ideas of the Decade - January 16, 2020
- Most Popular Recipes And Ideas of 2019 - January 14, 2020