Black Eyed Pea Salsa is a tasty, veggie alternative for your chip and dip events! Also known as Texas Caviar, Cowboy Caviar, Corn Salad or Blackeyed Pea Salad. They are the same delicious recipe with minor variations. The main event is the Blackeye peas and the corn.
Black eyed Pea Salsa is a good example of farm to table real food packed with flavor and nutrients. Its a delicious cold veggie salad for a summer table or a perfect veggie dip for your game day party!
I first saw this dish being prepared on a early Saturday morning TV show sponsored by Georgia Farmers a few years ago. We have since fallen in love with the delicious flavors of this chunky veggie salsa.
Also See these Fun Party Food Ideas:
- How To Cook Boiled Peanuts
- Sweet and Salty Chocolate Covered Potato Chips
- Glazed Bacon Crackers
- Crockpot 3 Ingredient BBQ Wings
SERVE IN A GLASS BOWL
It’s almost a shame to have to stir all of the ingredients together when you see how pretty they are layered in a glass bowl!
If you are planning a menu for a soiree, add this to your menu. It creates a pretty pop of color to the serving table.
- Canned Black eye peas
- Canned White corn, crisp
- Red bell pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Chopped red onion
- Canned tomatoes
- Canned tomatoes with chilies (I used Rotel)
- Chopped fresh garlic
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Italian dressing
I use the purple onions because they are pretty in this dish but you can use regular yellow or white onions. Be sure to try Vidalia Sweet onions, those are delicious!
CUT AND CHOP OR CHEAT?
We tried using a produce section container of Pico de gallo instead of cutting and chopping the peppers, parsley and onions.
It was okay but not as good as chopping the veggies. Would I do it when I’m in a hurry? Yep. Shhhh, don’t tell!
Bonus with this dish, no cooking involved, just dump all of the ingredients together and stir!
Serve Blackeyed Pea Salsa so many ways!
- A delicious chunky salsa served with tortilla chips.
- Yummy summer salad with fresh veggies.
- Over rice for a meatless main dish.
- New Year’s Day side dish. Blackeye Peas are supposed to bring good luck for the year.
LET’S SPELL BLACK EYED FOR THE FUN OF IT
So I have seen it spelled several different ways. If you search dictionary.com you will find them all except the hyphen version.
Blackeyed-Black eye-Blackeye-Black eyes-Black eyed and a few more. Who really knows what is correct. I don’t care. I just like to eat them and they are a real treat in this recipe!
~Share This Recipe To Pinterest~
A no cook recipe for a vegetable dip or side salad. The perfect dish to enjoy while watching football in the fall or enjoying a summer soiree with friends.
- 2 cans (15oz.) black eye peas, drained well
- 1 can (15 oz.) white corn
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ Cup chopped parsley
- ¼ Cup chopped red onion
- 1 can tomatoes and chopped tomatoes with chilies (I used Rotel)
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh garlic
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Italian dressing
- Combine all ingredients except the peas and stir to blend well.
- Now add the peas and stir to blend them throughout the salsa.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight for flavors to marinade.
- Serve with your favorite dipping chips.
We blend the peas last so they won't be crushed in the stirring process.
OPTIONAL: Bacon lovers, you know what to do!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Food Should Taste Good Multigrain 1.5 oz (Pack of 8)
Prodyne Acrylic Salad Bowl with Servers, Clear
Wish-Bone Salad Dressing, Fat Free Italian Dressing, 15 oz
Indoor Herb Garden Starter Kit - Certified 100% USDA Organic Non GMO - Potting Soil, Peat Pots, 5 Herb Seed Basil, Cilantro, Parsley, Sage, Thyme - DIY Kitchen Grow Kit for Growing Herb Seeds Indoors
Del Monte Quality Harvest Selects Whole Kernel Sweet White Corn, 15.25 oz.
Bush's Best W/Snaps Blackeye Peas, 15.8 Ounce
Amount Per Serving Calories 90Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 241mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 2g
Nutrition information is estimated and may not be exact based on uncontrolled variables in home kitchens used by each individual cook.
- 35 More Men’s Stocking Stuffer Ideas They Will Actually Enjoy - October 21, 2020
- 15 Most Popular Gifts For Women This Year - October 19, 2020
- 21 Crazy Easy Beginner Cricut Projects for You To Try - October 16, 2020