Try this Apple Banana Oat Nut Muffins recipe for a scrumptious, healthy breakfast alternative. My recipe has no butter and is packed with apple tidbits and bananas for yummy flavor!
Did you know that you can freeze bananas? Peel them first! Bananas have a tendency to over ripen so very quickly, don’t they! Peel them, and freeze them whole in freezer bags and you will have bananas at the ready for smoothies, bread or whatever recipe you need them for!
My almost 2 years old great niece, Ellie, stayed with us when her new baby brother was born recently. You can read about his interesting arrival here. Ellie calls muffins, ‘cup cakes’! Isn’t that just precious! Imagine how slick we think we are handing those healthy nutritious muffins over to a child who thinks she is eating cup cakes! She doesn’t even care that they don’t have icing on them!
Inspired by Ellie, I got busy in my kitchen this week and created my own recipe for Apple Banana Oat Nut Muffins. I had all of the ingredients to make banana nut bread but I also had some apples so I decided to incorporate them into the recipe as well for some added flavor, natural sweetener and a little punch of Vitamin C.
My recipe was a big hit with everyone, especially Ellie. I hope you will enjoy it too.
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1 medium ripe sweet apple (I used Golden Delicious)
- 2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Cup 2% milk
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix the brown sugar and rolled oats together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Sift flour into mixing bowl and stir in all the dry ingredients.
- Peel and mash the bananas into a separate bowl.
- Peel the apple, core and cut into tiny tidbits.
- Mix the apple and bananas together, stir well. Add in the dry ingredients along with the egg, nuts and milk. Stir the mixture well by hand for several minutes. Batter will be lumpy.
- Fill prepared muffin cups ⅔ full with batter and top with a sprinkling of the oats and brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Oven temperatures vary. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Made From Scratch Pimento Cheese Spread Recipe - July 17, 2017
- Fruity Dessert Recipes and Merry Monday Link Party #163 - July 16, 2017
- 7 Chicken Dinner Ideas for Summer and Merry Monday Link Party #162 - July 9, 2017