My hubby’s recipe for Cheesy Mashed Potato Smothered Meatloaf is inspired by his favorite Christmas movie, A Christmas Story.
It’s Day Two of 12 Days of Christmas Ideas and we’re sharing Ways To Enjoy Your Favorite Christmas Movie.
Are you aware that you can watch A Christmas Story for a solid 24 hours beginning on Christmas Eve every year? Yes, you can and although we do not sit up and watch it all twenty four of those hours, it is on in our house and we are subject to burst out in laughter at any moment.
Welcome to the third annual 12 Days of Christmas Blog Hop!
Stop by every day from December first through the twelfth for new ideas you can use to make your season brighter!
Meet Your Hosts
They have all been busy as Elves creating, decorating, cooking and crafting tons of new ideas for you to try this holiday season!
Cheesy Mashed Potato Smothered Meatloaf
Before watching A Christmas Story you simply must make Cheesy Mashed Potato Smothered Meatloaf so you can enjoy dinner and a movie! It’s a easy recipe so let’s get started.
Chances are excellent you already have all of the ingredients in your kitchen now. The printable full recipe is below.
After removing from the oven, allow the meatloaf to rest in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes before removing to a serving dish.
Once the meatloaf is in the serving dish, spread Homemade Mashed Potatoes generously across the top. Grab my recipe for Made From Scratch Mashed Potatoes Here.
Now sprinkle the mashed potatoes with shredded sharp cheese.
Place the dish in the oven just until the cheese melts which won’t take but maybe a minute.
Serve and enjoy!
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup ketchup
- Approximately 16 crushed saltine crackers
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 4 Cups prepared mashed potatoes
- 1½ Cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a large bowl. Blend well.
- Add the ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Prepare the loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Press the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes then remove from the oven and carefully pour off the excess grease.
- Return to the oven until done, approximately 35 additional minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°.
- Remove from oven and carefully pour off excess grease.
- Allow the meat to rest in the pan for approximately 10 minutes.
- Prepare the mashed potatoes while the meatloaf is cooking.
- After the meatloaf has rested for 10 minutes, carefully remove to oven proof serving dish,
- Top with prepared mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Return to oven until cheese begins to melt.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you have never seen A Christmas Story, here is the scene which inspires Meatloaf and Mashed potatoes for dinner during the Christmas season. Ralphie’s little brother refuses to eat his food so his Mom coaxed him into eating like a pig. Yep, it’s an Ewww but probably the most famous Ewww in the Christmas season.
Be sure to visit our fellow 12 Days of Christmas Bloggers below for even more creative ideas this holiday season!
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- 10 Most Popular Recipes and Home Ideas of the Decade - January 16, 2020
- Most Popular Recipes And Ideas of 2019 - January 14, 2020
- Easy White Beans And Ham Soup - January 6, 2020