My Sour Cream Pound Cake recipe is the old fashioned version, made from scratch using a trusted recipe passed down through the years.
More Made from Scratch Desserts
- Chocolate Pecan Pie Easy Recipe
- Easy Homemade Hot Fudge
- Chocolate Pound Cake from Scratch
- Christmas Magic Cookie Bars
Ingredients for Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Unsalted butter
- Sugar, granulated
- Cake flour (I use this brand)
- Sour cream
- Vanilla extract (I use this brand)
- Baking Soda
Tools for Baking Cakes
- Electric mixer (Kitchen Aid is the best)
- Spatula’s, like these
- Baking pans, 8″ round, like these
- Bundt pan, fluted like this one
- Tube pan, like this one
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Egg separator
~~~Follow our Ultimate Desserts Board on Pinterest~~~
Set the butter out on the counter and allow it to soften. I take my butter out the night before I’m going to use it in a cake
Begin by dissolving the baking soda in the sour cream in a small bowl then set aside.
Now Cream the butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy on medium speed. This is when a stand mixer comes in most handy because this process will take a few minutes.
Once your butter and sugar mixture is nice and light and fluffy, begin adding the eggs and sour cream mixture and cake flour alternately.
Add one egg, then a little of the sour cream mixture and then a little of the flour, mixing in between before starting the rotation over. Continue this process until all have been added.
Now add in the vanilla and mix.
Pour your cake batter into the prepared tube pan or Bundt pan.
Set your cake into a cold oven and turn the oven onto 300° for about 1 1/2 hours our until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool before slicing.
This cake can be glazed or left unglazed. It is delicious either way.
The only question is should you have a cup of fresh coffee or a tall glass of cold milk with your cake?
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dissolve the baking soda in the sour cream and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy on medium speed.
- Begin adding, alternately, eggs (one at a time), sour cream mixture and then flour, beating between each addition. Continue this rotation until all has been added.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour mixture into a prepared tube pan.
- Put into a cold oven and bake at 300° for about 1 ½ hours or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve and enjoy!
Baking Tip-Set a pan of water on the rack under your cake to keep the outsides from browning too much.
This cake is good glazed too!