Is Chicken Marsala one of your favorite dishes to order in a restaurant? Mine too. My recipe has no butter and no cream, so I purposefully left out a few calories! The Marsala wine and mushrooms are the stars of this dish.
I searched far and wide for an easy Chicken Marsala recipe to cook at home. I kept finding recipes with tons of ingredients and too many steps. I was lucky to pick up a cookbook at the library’s old book sale this year with one I could adapt. I actually purchased a suitcase full of books, mostly cookbooks at that sale but that’s another story.
This was my first time ever cooking Chicken Marsala so I was just crossing my fingers. I’ve always heard “it’s the finger that stirs the pot that makes the food good.”
My favorite skillet for preparing stove top dishes like this Chicken Marsala is my big Emeril 3 qt. stainless steel skillet. I’ve had mine a few years, it’s available on Amazon now in 4 qt. size. (affiliate)
Use this easy tip to thicken any gravy: Dip a small amount of the gravy from the skillet into a glass bowl or cup. Add about 1 tsp. of cornstarch into the cup and stir vigorously until there are no lumps. Pour back into the skillet and stir well into the gravy.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 Cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 12 oz. bottle of Marsala cooking wine
- Cut each piece of chicken in half to create 2 thin slices from one piece. You can achieve this by placing a hand on top of each piece and slicing parallel to your hand, carefully.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet.
- Place the flour in a resealable plastic bag and toss each piece of chicken to coat.
- Place the floured chicken into the heated oil and brown on both sides.
- Drain browned chicken on paper toweling.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper onto chicken.
- Pour off all but about 1 Tbsp. of the oil from the skillet.
- To the remaining hot oil add the entire bottle of Marsala wine and boil for about 1 minute, stirring and scraping the pan constantly. (you want to stir in those yummy bits of pan drippings)
- Continue to simmer until gravy thickens. (Easy tip to thicken gravy; dip up a small amount of the gravy into a bowl and stir in 1 tsp. cornstarch until all lumps are gone then pour back into skillet and stir well)
- Add the mushrooms and chicken into the Marsala gravy.
- Simmer about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy!
My Chicken Marsala recipes has only 7 ingredients! There are multiple steps but they are not complicated. Be sure to read the recipe completely through before beginning so you will be able to anticipate each step.
Most restaurants serve mashed potatoes with their Chicken Marsala. Who am I to stray from a good menu?
My hubby declared this recipe as restaurant quality and has since made several request for me to make it again. I’ve already added it to my Weekly Menu calendar.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure policy.
You May Also Like
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- 9 Summer Crafty Ideas and Merry Monday Link Up Party #164 - July 23, 2017
- Made From Scratch Pimento Cheese Spread Recipe - July 17, 2017
- Fruity Dessert Recipes and Merry Monday Link Party #163 - July 16, 2017