This Rainbow Layer Cake is packed with a different flavor in every layer!
My husband made this Rainbow Layer Cake for Easter. I would suggest you may want to enjoy this cake at least once. It’s perfect for any celebration, not just Easter. It’s huge so be sure to invite friends and family to enjoy it with you.
This Rainbow Layer Cake is rather majestic with four layers!
It’s what I lovingly refer to as a ‘cheating cake,’ because it’s a box mix but trust me when I say, the flavors are amazing! There are many, many box mix recipes out there which will make you think you are eating a cake made from scratch. This is one of those.
The Rainbow Layer Cake is majestic with it’s four layers!
Raspberry, Orange, Lime and Berry Blue gelatin make each layer a different flavor and color!
One slice covers a big dinner plate! Put on the coffee and chill the milk glasses.
We didn’t use the cool whip frosting in the magazine recipe. Instead, Stacy made the basic buttercream frosting which is a family favorite. We also stacked the layers in a different color pattern than Kraft just for the fun of it! We were very happy with this recipe and will likely make it again for a special occasion.
- 2 pkg. white cake mixes, divided
- ½ of 3-oz. pkg.each gelatin (JELL-O) Raspberry Flavor Gelatin, Orange Flavor Gelatin, Lime Flavor Gelatin and Berry Blue
- Oil according to pkg directions
- Water according to pkg. directions
- Egg whites according to pkg. directions
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Grease and flour four 8" cake pans
- Prepare cake batter from 1 pkg. cake mix as directed on package.
- Divide batter equally between two separate bowls.
- Add dry raspberry gelatin mix to batter in one bowl; mix well.
- Stir dry orange gelatin mix into remaining batter.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Repeat cake preparation steps with the second box of cake mix and divide equally between two bowls.
- Stir in the remaining flavored gelatins and pour into cake pans.
- Bake at 350º 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before icing.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter
More of our Worth the effort recipes
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Made From Scratch Pimento Cheese Spread Recipe - July 17, 2017
- Fruity Dessert Recipes and Merry Monday Link Party #163 - July 16, 2017
- 7 Chicken Dinner Ideas for Summer and Merry Monday Link Party #162 - July 9, 2017