What are the best baked sweet potato toppings? I’m so glad you asked because I have a list of delectable ideas you can use for an epic Baked Sweet Potato Bar.
Baked sweet potato toppings can be quite varied, both sweet and savory as a matter of fact.
But before we get into the longs lists of baked sweet potato toppings, first let me share the simple way to bake a sweet potato.
Baked Sweet Potato Recipe
- Scrub the outside of the sweet potato under cool running water using a vegetable brush, like this one
- Pat dry
- Place on a foil or parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake at 425 for about 45 minutes. Test for tenderness by piercing with a knife. If the potato is tender, it’s done.
Bake time depends on the size of your potatoes and how many you are baking at one time. Sweet potatoes do not need to be wrapped in foil.
Should you poke holes in a potato before baking?
The reasoning behind the hole poking is to let steam out so the potato won’t explode. The skin on the potato is porous so the moisture escapes through the skin. In my 40 years of cooking, I have never seen a potato explode, not a sweet potato or a white potato.
I had to test the hole poking since I’d never done it. I baked a big batch of sweet potatoes and poked holes in all of them. It steamed up my oven but made no difference in the outcome of the potato. I’m a no holes in the potatoes girl.
This article contains affiliate links.
Baked Sweet Potato Toppings
This list of sweet potato toppings is what I would call the sweet list. As a southern girl, this list is my favorite. The savory list is below.
- Brown Sugar
- Nuts such as Pecans or Walnuts
- Roasted Apples
- Maple Syrup
- Mini Marshmallows
- Almond Butter
- Apple Butter
- Crushed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Kettle Corn Popcorn Seasoning
- Butter Popcorn Seasoning
- Pumpkin spice
Baked Sweet Potato Toppings Combinations
This is going to sound a little bit like Bubba Gump telling us the many ways you can cook shrimp. ~wink
Mix and match and try your favorites until you find the combination you love the most. There are lots of options.
These combinations are super easy recipes, if you really want to call them recipes ~wink
- Butter + Brown sugar + Cinnamon
- Butter + brown sugar +cinnamon +toasted pecans
- Roasted apples + cinnamon
- Roasted Apples + cinnamon + raisins
- Mini Marshmallows a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Mini Marshmallows + toasted pecans + butter
- Raisins + mini marshmallows
- Maple syrup + cinnamon
- Maple syrup + toasted pecans
- Butter + maple syrup
- Butter + maple syrup + toasted pecans
- Apple butter
- Apple butter +butter + toasted pecans
- Kettle corn popcorn seasoning +a little butter
- Butter popcorn seasoning + a little bit of butter
- Mini marshmallow + Raisins
- Butter + Brown Sugar + Crushed Chocolate chip cookies
You get the idea. There is an untold number of different ways to mix and match these favorite toppings to create your own scrumptious loaded baked sweet potato.
Eating sweet potatoes is a great way to add fiber to your diet in a pleasant way. Your choice of the endless number of toppings makes this treat even more fun.
Baked stuffed sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish with Fall meals. I like to pair these with Maple Apple Pork Tenderloin for a very traditional southern meal.
Savory Baked Sweet Potato Toppings Ideas
- Black beans
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Green onions
- Hot sauce
- Cheddar cheese
- Cottage Cheese
- Red onion
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Feta Cheese
- Fresh herbs
- Mozzarella cheese
- Sesame seeds
- Cooked and seasoned ground meat
- Cooked and seasoned chicken
I hope you have found some different toppings ideas to serve your family or guests the next time you bake sweet potatoes. Play around with the toppings for a different combination than what you would normally do to try something different.
My friend Rita over at Harbour Breeze Home and I have teamed up to bring you Fall inspiration this week. We are sharing seven days of recipes and decorating ideas. You are going to want Rita’s recipe for Turkey Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potatoes right here.
More Fall Dinner Ideas
A stick to the ribs easy chicken casserole recipe is a must like this Chicken & Veggie Casserole ready in under an hour
This Cheesy Sausage Pasta Casserole checks all the comfort food boxes
This super popular made from scratch dinner is a favorite. Oven Baked Cube Steak and Gravy
Crockpot Corned Beef & Cabbage is definitely a fall food at my house. Plus it’s a one pot meal!
Homemade Chicken and Dumplings with only 7 ingredients. It’s a recipe cheat!