A homemade chicken pot pie is comfort food at its best! The ingredients are simple but I put jut a little extra effort into this hearty dish to prepare the chicken from scratch. It’s worth it!
Chicken Pot Pie is like Vegetable soup in a casserole! It’s a delicious stick-to-the-ribs hearty dish we usually prefer to enjoy in the winter months.
My recipe is almost from scratch. Why do I say almost? Here’s why!
- We cheat a little bit with the crusts by using pie crusts
- Frozen vegetables save us time and money
More Weeknight Meal Ideas
- Easy Chicken Parmigiana
- Mostly From Scratch Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Smothered Meatloaf
- Easy Classic Lasagna
This recipe begins by boiling a hen so we have fresh broth and chicken. That freshness adds tons of flavor to this dish and allows the opportunity to save some chicken and broth for another meal. You know, cook once, eat twice is a great way to stretch the budget.
The recipe only calls for one cup of broth which means there will be plenty to freeze for other recipes! Chicken Broth freezes well.
Also See How To Preserve Chicken Broth
One of the best parts of any chicken pot pie is the crust! I like to make mine in an oblong casserole dish rather than a round deep dish for more crust per serving. Be sure to poke some holes for venting.
One of my shortcuts is using refrigerated pie crusts which is a big time saver.
Printable recipe at the end
Frozen Vegetables, cream of potato soup and chicken broth combine to make a scrumptious filling for this Chicken Pot Pie. Heating the pie filling on top of the stove prior to baking helps to meld all of the flavors.
It’s an added bonus that this is a one dish meal too! This Homemade Chicken Pot Pie is so good, you will want to eat it again the next day. That is why I usually double the recipe and plan for leftovers the next day.
~Share This Recipe To Pinterest~
- 1 small whole hen
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (16 oz.)
- 1 can cream of potato soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 1 Tbsp. sage
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- PREPARE THE CHICKEN
- Boil the hen in a Dutch oven until it falls off the bone.
- Drain and debone the chicken.
- Shred the meat by hand and set aside.
- PREPARE THE VEGETABLES
- Into a large pot add the vegetables, chicken broth and soup.
- Heat stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the seasonings and the chicken.
- Heat just until bubbly.
- MAKE THE PIE
- Prepare a casserole dish with non-stick spray
- Spread one pie crust across the bottom and side of the dish.
- Pour in the heated pie mixture.
- Spread the second pie crust over the top to cover completely
- Use a knife or fork to poke sporadic holes in top of the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven at 325° for 30 to 40 minutes uncovered. After 20 minutes of baking, remove from oven and cover with foil then return to oven.
- Serve and enjoy!
- 35 More Men’s Stocking Stuffer Ideas They Will Actually Enjoy - October 21, 2020
- 15 Most Popular Gifts For Women This Year - October 19, 2020
- 21 Crazy Easy Beginner Cricut Projects for You To Try - October 16, 2020