This Tomato & Red Onion Jelly is inspired by a scrumptious onion jelly we used to eat at a local favorite restaurant.
When I was contacted recently to team up with Tuttorosso® Tomatoes to Inspiralize the Spring with new recipes, I got excited. Creating new recipes can always be both fun and challenging. It reminds me of being a little girl and playing like I was cooking, fond memories. All grown up, we want our recipes to turn out great and receive accolades from all who partake, right? This recipe will not disappoint your guests!
Tuttorosso® is sponsoring a huge giveaway to help get your spring Inspiralized! More info on the giveaway and the Inspiralizer® later in this post.
My husband and I used to enjoy the Onion jelly and crackers at one of our favorite local restaurants. We often stated that we were going to learn to make it. I’ve put a twist on it by adding one of our favorite spring and summer ingredients, tomatoes. Although there is a sweetness to it, My Red Onion & Tomato Jelly is perfect for bruschetta or as a topping on your favorite sandwich or burger. You might even enjoy it as a meat sauce. We slathered it on top of our grilled burgers for the perfect Tomato & Onion Jelly Burger!
No need to wait on the summer tomato crop to come in when Tuttorosso® has the best canned tomatoes available for our spring recipes! Let’s jump right into how to make this tasty recipe.
Start by caramelizing two large red onions thinly sliced in about a half stick of melted butter. We want nice well caramelized onions so this may take a good 15 to 20 minutes on medium heat. Deglaze the pan with a few drops of Balsamic Vinegar and add in one thinly sliced or spiralized Honeycrisp apple. Oh, yes the apple is a not so secret ingredient! Continue to cook until the onions and apples are nice and thick.
The caramelized onions and apple should look nice and caramel in color and thick enough to hang on to a wooden spoon as shown.
In a bowl, combine both cans of Tuttorosso® Tomatoes and stir in the spices. Do not drain the tomatoes. I crushed up the plum tomatoes in my hand and removed the hard stem end piece. Add the tomato mixture to the skillet into the onions and apples. Then stir in the sugars and lemon juice along with the cider vinegar. Bring to a boil then turn down to medium heat. Simmer stirring often until mixture cooks down and begins to jell, about 2 hours.
I canned three pints using the boiling water bath method. I have a very easy to follow video on how to can using the water bath method on my You Tube Channel HERE. Of course, we immediately used one jar so we have that one refrigerated. It should keep just fine in the refrigerator for several weeks. My daughter loves it so she gained possession of on jar. I will be making this recipe again soon!
- 1 28 oz.. can Tuttorosso® Peeled Plum tomatoes No Salt Added
- 1 28 oz. Can Tuttorosso® Crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 medium red onions
- 1 medium Honeycrisp apple
- ½ stick butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. basil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Cider vinegar
- Peel and slice the onions very thin.
- Core, peel and slice thin the apple.
- Melt the butter in a large stainless steel skillet or Dutch oven.
- Add the onions and salt to the melted butter and cook until they are just beginning to caramelize.
- Add the apple to the onion mixture.
- Deglaze the pan using the Balsamic vinegar, scrapping all of the pan drippings up and stirring well. You may need to deglaze a couple of times.
- Onions and apple should be thick and caramelized in 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, pour both cans of tomatoes, do not drain.
- Using your hand crush the plum tomatoes and remove the hard stem end.
- Stir the basil and thyme into the tomato mixture.
- Add the tomato mixture along with the sugars into the skillet with the onions and apple.
- Bring to a boil on medium high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring often until thick and jelled, about 2 hours.
- Makes about 3 pints if you are canning.
- Serve and enjoy!
Don’t forget to head over to the Tuttorosso Tomato Facebook page and enter to win 1 of 650 Tuttorosso® Aprons, a chance to win 1 of 15 copies of the cookbook, Inspiralized, or a chance to win 1 of 60 official spiralizers: The Inspiralizer (the official spiralizer of Inspiralized). One lucky winner will be awarded the following Grand Prize Package worth approximately $500 which includes Deluxe picnic basket, Inspiralized® spiralizer, Inspiralized cookbook, and kitchen gadgets personally selected by Ali of Inspiralized.com
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- 113 Games & Activities for Kids & Merry Monday Link Party #156 - May 28, 2017
- DIY See Rock City Barn Birdhouse - May 25, 2017
- 15 Plus Best Annual Flowers for Full Sun - May 24, 2017