Our Hawaiian Pasta Salad is an addicting delectable delight because of the sweet creamy dressing the pasta shells are bathed in.
Skip The Onions
We left the onions out. Gasp! Authentic Hawaiian Pasta Salad does contain onions but everyone doesn’t like onions as much as I do so I use Onion Powder instead. Shhhhh, it’s a bit of a secret.
If you simply insist, add about a 1/2 Cup of finely chopped onions to the recipe.
Why Pasta Shells instead of Macaroni Noodles?
Listen, this is some good stuff folks. It’s lip-smacking delicious because the made from scratch dressing is so stinking good! Pasta shells provide that little opening for more of the dressing to get trapped into! It’s just that simple. You can use the regular macaroni noodles if you insist but I promise you, the shells are just better for this pasta salad.
We make a pretty good Tuna Pasta Salad too! Grab that recipe here.
I am not Hawaiian nor have I ever traveled to Hawaii therefore I lay no claims to making authentic Hawaiian food but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the cuisine and make my own version at home.
This recipe was created for our summer Luau party but it will live on as an easy Summer meal in our home from now on.
Heavy on the Dressing!
Don’t freak out when you read the recipe and see how much milk and mayonnaise it takes to create the dressing. The big thing about a Hawaiian macaroni salad is for it to be almost swimming in dressing.
If you don’t think you’d like quite that much, add less to the bowl when you start stirring. But you should know that the pasta shells are going to soak up that yummy goodness so I wouldn’t scrimp on the dressing. Trust me on this!
Take it to a Pot Luck!
This Hawaiian Pasta Salad is a great dish to take to a Pot Luck. Everyone loves it, expect no leftovers. You can make it a day ahead if you like. It will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
~~~Follow our Salads Board on Pinterest~~~
Also see our Tips for Hosting A Potluck
- 1 1/2 Cups 2% Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Dukes Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Light brown sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 lb. Medium Pasta Shells
- 10 oz. bag Matchstick shredded carrots
- 3/4 Cup shredded or sliced thin Celery
- In a bowl, mix together Milk, Mayonnaise, Apple Cider Vinegar, Brown Sugar, Salt, Pepper and Onion Powder. Stir until well blended using a whisk. Set Aside
- Boil Shells according to package directions and drain. You want soft shells so they will absorb the flavors so don't be tempted to do al dente.
- Allow cooked shells to cool.
- Dump the shells into a big bowl.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the pasta reserving about 1/2 cup and mix well.
- Add the celery and carrots into the pasta and toss gently.
- Pour the remaining dressing into the salad and stir well.
- Cover and chill for about 1 hour prior to serving. Can be made the day before.
This creamy pasta salad is great for taking to a Pot Luck! Everyone loves it, no leftovers!
VARIATION: Add 1/2 Cup finely chopped onions. (not included in Nutrition Information)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 494mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Protein: 5g
My friend Erlene over at My Pinterventures has a fabulous Hawaiian Ice Cream Guri Guri recipe. She says it’s as if a Slushie and Ice Cream had a baby! Whoa! Get her Guri Guri recipe here.
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Chocolate Caramel Pecan Bar Cookies - November 15, 2019
- Tween & Teen Christmas Activities - November 15, 2019
- Make This Red & White Pom Pom Mini Wreath Ornament - November 14, 2019