Welcome to Happenings in Middle Georgia and Beyond
Keeping you informed of What’s Happening On and Off The Beaten Path in middle Georgia and beyond.
Free Summer Family Fun in Georgia
Home Depot Free Workshop Ages 5-12; Learn to Build a Minions Scooter Sat. July 4th 9am-Noon Registration is required. Classes available in Macon, W.R., Thomaston and Griffin.
These free kids clinics fill up fast so register early! Included are a free apron, goggles, patch and more.
Macon. Shoppes’s at River Crossing. Friday Friday June 19, 2015 10:30 AM – Friday November 06, 2015. Free Children’s Storytime recurring dates. Singing, snacks and great children’s books are the regular features of the children’s Storytime events.
Toys R Us
Jurassic World Lego Event Sat. June 20th. 12-2pm
Free. Make & Take a FREE Mini LEGO® Jurassic World Gate!
- Spring Movie Series Free movies at dark in Luther Williams Stadium in Central City Park. Bring blankets & chairs to sit on the green, or take a seat in the stands. Outside food and drink is permitted, but the concessions will be available for purchase.
- 6/26 Wizard of Oz
360 Mt. Vernon Rd. Jackson, Ga. Wildlife, trails and family fun for FREE!
GA Hwy 247 & Russell Parkway, Warner Robins, GA 31088. FREE!
Get a FREE parking pass for an Georgia State Park at your local library. Go HERE for more information.
Andersonville National Historic Site began as a stockade built about 18 months before the end of the U.S. Civil War to hold Union Army prisoners captured by Confederate soldiers. Today, Andersonville National Historic Site comprises three distinct components: the former site of Camp Sumter military prison, the Andersonville National Cemetery, and the National Prisoner of War Museum, which opened in 1998 to honor all U.S. prisoners of war in all wars.
- July. Avenue of Flags
June 27th Celebrate America Open Times: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Cost: $10 per person over the age of three.
Fun in the Summer Open Dates:
- Mon. – Sat. July 6 – July 11
- Mon. – Sat. July 13 – July 18
- Mon. – Sat. July 20 – July 25
- Open Times: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Ride in air-conditioned, 1949 vintage train cars. (Admission applies. Call 229-410-7937 for group reservations and rates).
Americus Explorer Train Ride (6 hrs) Travel from Cordele through Ga. Veterans State Park, across Lake Blackshear, visit Historic Downtown Americus, tour Habitat for Humanity’s Global Village
- June 19
Watermelon Express Train Ride (5hrs.35mins.) Enjoy this ride from our Downtown Cordele Depot to Historic Plains, the small Georgia town made famous by President Jimmy Carter.
- June 25
Thronateeska Limited (5 hrs. 30 mins.) After a short ride through the Sumter County countryside, we deboard in the small town of Leslie, home of the 200,000 square foot Georgia Rural Telephone Museum. Train tickets include FREE admission to the museum, where you will explore the largest collection of antique telephones and telephone memorabilia in the world. You will also see numerous antique vehicles and even a working cathedral pipe organ.
- July 24
Presidential Flyer Train Ride (6 hrs. 25 mn.) Riding in air-conditioned, 1949 vintage train cars, you will travel from Georgia Veterans State Park, across Lake Blackshear to Plains, Archery and back. Explore President Jimmy Carter’s boyhood farm, go shopping and sample peanut butter treats.
- June 20
- July 11
The Village at Indian Springs
Indian Springs State Park, 678 Lake Clark Road, Flovilla, GA 30216
Living History Map. Explore the Living History Map managed by the Historic Macon Foundation. Explore a few of Macon’s most important historic places.
Douglas Theatre. 355 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. (478) 742-2000.
- Children Summer Workshop June 24 from 10:00-2:00. Reservations Required! Ages 6-12 ONLY! Please call (478) 752-8257 ext 222 to sign up your child. Children will participate in a 1 mile hike, learn how the Native Americans lived here. Learn how to make pottery, paint necklaces, and learn how play Native American games.
- First Saturday: Free Admission sponsored by MedCen Foundation/Navicent Health
Lake Tobesofkee Sandy Beach Water Park COMING SOON!
- Freedom Fireworks June 28th. West parking lot, Kids Zone, bring your own picnic. No alcohol or Dogs allowed. Gates open at 7pm. Fireworks will be shot at dusk. Free Admission.Go Fish Education Center
- Kids Fishing Event. June 1-June 30 (Tues, Wed. & Thursdays)
- Callaway Gardens Farmers Market, beach activities, kids zones, great food, drink specials and much more. Aqua Island, Paddle Boats, Miniature Golf, Table Tennis, Shuffleboard. Admission Info
- .38 Special Concert with Sam Koon June 26th. Performance at Robin Lake Beach on Friday, June 26. Advance tickets are $25; $35 day of show. Gates will open at 6:30 p.m. Showtime is 8 p.m. Parking will be $10 beginning at 4 p.m. The venue, including food and beverage, will be available beginning at 6 p.m. Showtime is 8 p.m.
Open daily at 10 am, closing times vary. 1300 Oak Grove Road, Pine Mountain, GA 31822
- Beyond Rosie: Women in World War II June 1- Aug. 28. 9am-5pm.
Museum of Aviation located at GA. Hwy 247 at Russell Parkway is open daily 9 am-5 pm with Free Admission.
GEORGIA STATE PARKS
F.D. Roosevelt State Park. ($5 parking)
- Music & Dancing on the Mountain. June 20.
- Farmer’s Market. Saturdays 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM – May 23, 2015 until Sep 5, 2015
- Art in the Park. Saturday’s from 2pm-5pm. Hand crafted, local items for sale. Craft demonstrations.
High Falls State Park ($5 parking)
Indian Springs State Park ($5 parking)
- Junior Ranger Day Camp June 15-18 10am-3pm. $40 per child. Want something fun to do this summer? At Junior Ranger Day Camp, children learn about nature, history, and animals while playing games and making new friends. Children will earn badges to take home. Join your child for International Picnic Day on the last day of camp! Open to children ages 6-12. Register at the park office.
- Creatures of the Night- Night Hike June 19th 8:15-9:15pm. $3 per person Join our park naturalist on a hike around McIntosh Lake to see what is out and about at night. We will be looking for frogs, fireflies, and listening for night sounds to see what we can identify. Meet at the Programming Hut.
The Village at Indian Springs is open! You will find Big Chief Country Store, Daisy Pearl’s Boutique, Ladybugs & Tadpoles Children’s Store, Mrs. Lee’s Stagecoach Sweet Stop, Vintage Post Antiques & Gifts and Watkins Outfitters.
Jarrell Plantation Historic Site (711 Jarrell Plantation Rd. Juliette, GA 31046) Admission $4-6.50)
Sew a Simple Doll July 18 & August 15. Learn to sew a Miss Poppet doll. The required doll kit is $7.99 plus tax.
- Quilting Bee. Sat. June 20. 10 am-11 am
Did you know that you can check out Georgia State Park “ParkPass” and Historic Site Pass from your local library. Ask for the Park Pass to exempt the $5 parking fee. Ask for the Historic Sites Family pass which will cover up to four visitor at State historic sites operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
The Fishing Tackle Loaner Program of The Wildlife Resources Division provides rods, reels and tackle box equipment to participating State Parks and Historic Sites Offices
Georgia State Parks Money saving Special discounts page can be found HERE.
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- 7 Ways To Enjoy Your Outdoor Space & Merry Monday Link Party #155 - May 21, 2017
- 10 Decadent Chocolate Dessert Ideas & Merry Monday #154 - May 14, 2017
- Simple Chopped Steak with Mushroom Gravy - May 10, 2017