January Meal Plan Week 5
January is a long month with 31 days and this is our 5th Meal plan for January. It will take us into the first few days of February.
This week we’re serving up; a Roast Chicken and vegetables recipe using a kitchen hack, Black Bean Chili made in the Slow Cooker, a scrumptious salmon recipe prepared in the iron skillet and ready in 15 minutes. Comfort foods include; meatloaf, cube steak with homemade gravy and pork chop casserole plus a fun sweet potato toppings bar.
This article contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure Policy.
About the meal plan
- This meal plan will serve 4. Some recipes will serve more than four depending on your portion sizes.
- It’s a meal plan for one week of dinner ideas.
- Some recipes are intended to create premeditated leftovers, like casseroles or large pots of soup. This saves on the budget.
- It is understood that you have common ingredients in your pantry such as salt and pepper so those are not included in the ingredient lists.
- Some recipes will call for ingredients that can be used in multiple recipes for the week. Such as a head of lettuce can be used to make side salads with a small amount also portioned for tacos. A bag of carrots can be used for multiple dishes in one week to avoid waste.
- There are 7 dinner ideas each week, in no particular order.
- Scroll down for the recipe links.
- Subscribe to my Newsletter to have these meal plans delivered to your inbox.
- Follow my Facebook page for lots of recipes shared daily.
Weeknight Dinner Ideas
All recipes are linked at the bottom of this artcle. Side dish suggestions are not required, cook your favorite family sides. The grocery list for each entree includes what is required for that recipe.
Also, see the January Week 1 Meal Plan, January Week 2 Meal Plan, January Meal Plan Week 3 and Week 4 January Meal Plan for more dinner ideas.
Valentine’s Day is coming up, see these 15 Fun Meals To Make As A Couple.
January Meal Plan Week 5
1. Bundt Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetables
A savory roast chicken recipe one-pan dinner made easy with a simple kitchen hack. Seasoned chicken juice flavors the vegetables underneath while the chicken is roasting.
Potatoes, carrots, and onions are part of this one-pan meal. No need for more sides unless you’d like to add some rolls.
- 1 (3-4 lb.) whole chicken
- 1.5 lb. small yellow potatoes, cut into chunks (like Yukon gold)
- 1 sweet onion, cut into large wedges
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 1 stick unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2. Crockpot Black Bean Chili Recipe
My Black Bean Chili recipe is made in the Crockpot and has been a family favorite for more than 40 years. Ground sausage paired with your choice of ground beef or turkey means added flavor.
We enjoy homemade pimento cheese sandwiches or oyster crackers with a bowl of chili.
- 1 28 oz.. can of tomato puree
- 2 14.5 oz. cans of your favorite diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz. can of Black Beans, do not drain
- 1 lb. Ground sausage
- 1 lb. Ground turkey or ground beef
- 1/4 cup Chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- Optional: 1 medium onion diced
3. Parmesan Crusted Salmon Iron Skillet Recipe
Only four ingredients are needed for this lightly crusted Parmesan Italian-flavored Salmon made in the Iron Skillet. Your entree will be ready to eat in about 15 minutes.
Make these pecan-glazed green beans or roasted brussel sprouts and homemade mashed potatoes for a restaurant-quality dinner.
- 1 large piece of Salmon, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 pk. Italian dressing mix, like this
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Robust olive oil
4. Cheesy Mashed Potato Smothered Meatloaf
Make this classic meatloaf recipe but turn it into a delicious meal by topping it with homemade mashed potatoes. Melting cheese on top makes this meatloaf like your favorite cheeseburger.
Mashed potatoes are included in the recipe. A nice side salad will give you some green vegetables. Dinner rolls are perfect too.
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Approximately 16 crushed saltine crackers
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 4 Cups prepared Mashed potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
5. Baked Cube Steak and Gravy
This comfort food weeknight meal is made from scratch and is worth the effort. The meat is browned. Then the gravy is made in the pan drippings and poured over the meat to be slowly baked for a tender and yummy entree.
Rice goes perfectly with the homemade gravy. Serve peas and carrots or your favorite green vegetable on the side. These Italian beans are a family favorite.
- 4 cube steaks
- 1 small onion (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup prepared black coffee (Instant will work)
- 1 Cup sifted flour for the cube steak batter
- 2 Tbsp. sifted flour for the gravy
- 2-4 Tbsp. olive oil
6. Pork Chop Casserole
This Pork Chop Casserole with potatoes recipe is an easy and unique casserole recipe. It’s my Mom’s recipe that I grew up eating. I tweaked it a little to slice the potatoes thin and added the mushrooms.
I like to serve sweet peas on the side with this dish and canned biscuits.
- 6 Bone-in pork chops average, not the really thick ones
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 4-5 medium Red Potatoes sliced thin
- 1 carton of fresh sliced mushrooms rinsed (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Smoked Paprika
7. Baked Sweet Potato Toppings Bar
Set up a Baked Sweet Potato Topping Bar for a fun and easy weeknight dinner idea. Be sure to bake really large sweet potatoes so everyone will get full from their meal.
A fun meal needs fun side dishes. I am recommending Deviled eggs and Pear Salad as sides for your Baked Sweet Potatoes. Both can be made ahead and placed in the refrigerator until dinner time.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- salt and pepper
- brown sugar
- See this list of topping ideas of your choice
Use this simple menu plan to make dinner easier at your house. Scroll down for all of this week’s recipe links.
January Meal Plan Recipes Week 5
- Bundt Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetables
- Crockpot Black Bean Chili recipe
- Iron Skillet Parmesan Italian Crusted Salmon recipe
- Cheese Mashed Potato Topped Meatloaf recipe
- Baked Smothered Cube Steak recipe (video included)
- Pork Chop Casserole recipe
- Baked Sweet Potatoes Bar
Got tips others can use? Questions? I love hearing from you. Please scroll down and leave a comment.
Homemade Crescent Roll Apple Turnovers is an easy recipe with homemade glaze you can whip up with just a few ingredients.
Soft and Chewy Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies. Only 5 ingredients in this quick and easy cake mix cookie recipe.
My Easy Classic Recipe for Pineapple Upside Down cake is baked in an iron skillet. I make the topping from scratch and cheat a little on the cake.
Canned Biscuit Donuts are quick and easy to make. Fried biscuits tossed in sugars make a scrumptious homemade dessert easy recipe.
Watergate Salad is a quick and easy dessert to whip up in about 5 minutes with no cooking required. Cool Whip, nuts and pineapples come together for a light and tasty dessert.