My Jazzed Up Meat & Potato Casserole is a newly remade old family favorite. Most seasoned cooks have a meat and potato casserole in their repertoire of recipes.
This meat and potato casserole recipe has been made in my family for so many years. My children grew up eating it and are now preparing it for their families! It’s wildly popular but now I’ve jazzed it up with Bacon!
Bacon makes everything better!
Also See These Recipes with Bacon:
- Glazed Bacon Crackers
- Slow Cooker Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- Bacon Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Broccoli Bacon Salad
Everything is better with bacon, right! Not only did I jazz up my old meat and potato casserole with Wright® Brand Bacon but I hit it out of the park with their Applewood smoked bacon! It is my hubby’s favorite and mine too!
The first time we ever enjoyed this recipe was when my baby girl was born thirty plus years ago. Yes, this recipe has been in our family a long time!
An Aunt brought dinner to our home when my baby girl was born way back in 1987. It was so good I had to get the recipe. Through the years this Meat and Potato Casserole recipe has endured many changes.
Sometimes I add mushrooms because my family loves mushrooms. If we forget to buy the french fried onions, I make it anyway! I have never made it without the cheese though!
Options to add to this casserole:
- Mixed frozen Vegetables (Corn, Peas, Carrots)
The best way to cook bacon is on a cookie sheet lined with foil in the oven.
Place the bacon on cooling racks, as shown, which will allow any grease to drip. Place into a preheated 400° oven for 15-25 minutes depending on how done you like your bacon. I like the crispy edges and my hubby likes the soft centers.
Skip the salt! The canned cream of mushroom soup and the canned potatoes already have salt in their ingredients.
Here’s my Jazzed Up Meat & Potato Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb. Ground turkey, browned and drained
- 2 Cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 can sliced potatoes, drained
- 8-10 slices of cooked bacon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Place the drained, cooked bacon into a food chopper for just a couple seconds. Large chopped pieces are good for this casserole.
- Set aside about ½ cup of the chopped bacon
- In a bowl, gently stir together the turkey, soup, remaining bacon and seasonings.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray
- Pour the blended ingredients into the prepared baking dish
- Fold the potatoes into the mixture gently so you don't break the potatoes
- Bake, covered at 350° for 30-45 minutes until the casserole is hot and bubbly
- Top with the bacon you set aside, shredded cheese and French fried onions.
- Return to oven uncovered just long enough for the cheese to melt.
- Serve and enjoy!