Classic Watergate Salad is really somewhat of a misnomer for a name because this salad is really a dessert! It’s super easy to make with only three ingredients.
Watergate Salad has been making appearances at social events for quite a few years now. I felt like you might be interested to know why I call ‘mine’ “Classic” so I’m sharing the History of Watergate Salad.
The History of Watergate Salad dates back to the mid 1980’s. Originally the recipe was shared by Kraft and called Pistachio Pineapple Delight. Sometime in the mid 1980’s the name was changed to Watergate Salad and marshmallows were added to the recipe. Even though the name changed the recipe is still printed on the side of the Pistachio Jell-o box. For the complete history visit the Kraft site here. You will also find links to other variations.
Watergate Salad Trivia
(Answers at the bottom of this page)
What month of the year is Watergate Salad most popular based on internet searches for the recipe?
How many people search the internet for the Watergate Salad recipe during it’s most popular month?
The fact that you can make this dessert with only three ingredients is not lost on a busy cook either! If you are adding this side dish to your Thanksgiving menu, make it a day ahead.
I make mine without the marshmallows. That’s how Momma always made it and I now know why based on my history research!
- 1 small pkg. (3.4 oz.) Pistachio pudding
- 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapples in juice, undrained
- 1 (12 oz) container of whipped topping, preferably Cool Whip
- ¼ cup chopped pecans for topping
- Mix all ingredients, except pecans, together. Folding works better than stirring to mix the pudding into the cool whip.
- Top with chopped pecans prior to serving.
- Store in refrigerator for at least one hour prior to serving.
Watergate Salad is a perfect make ahead dessert for entertaining. You can store it in the refrigerator and bring it out at the right moment.
Trivia Answers. November. 50,000.
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- 2019 Spring and Summer Fairs & Festivals In Georgia - February 16, 2019
- Shrimp Fried Rice - February 15, 2019
- Valentine’s Dinner Table Decor - February 12, 2019