Middle Georgia and Beyond Happenings
Keeping you informed of What’s Happening On and Off The Beaten Path in Middle Georgia and beyond.
Thanks for stopping by Middle Georgia and Beyond Happenings. There is much to do in mid August in the middle Georgia area! Train rides, Farmer’s Markets, Free activities for families including movies at the park! Hurry down to the water parks because they will all be closing soon!
Don’t miss a thing! Subscribe to our weekly newsletter, published every Sunday night.
Free Family Fun in Middle Georgia
Bass Pro Shop Macon “Next Generation Kid’s Event” Aug. 29-30 Free Kid’s Archery Challenge, Free BB Shooting Range, Free Crafts, Free Kid’s Archery Workshop at 2pm & 4pm each day and Free Photo download!
Lowe’s Build & Grow Free Kid’s Clinic (Kids build a wood project and receive an apron, goggles, patch & more!) Pre-Registration required. These classes fill up fast!
- Thor’s Chariot August 22 10 am
360 Mt. Vernon Rd. Jackson, Ga. A private, non-profit nature center with Wildlife, trails and family fun for FREE! Explore a 19th century style working farm and see goats, pigs, cows, a mule, donkey and lots of chickens. Also featured at the farm is a blacksmith shop, cane syrup mill and cooking areas, country store, chicken coop, tenant house, and a smoke house.
GA Hwy 247 & Russell Parkway, Warner Robins, GA 31088. FREE!
Macon Fall Outdoor Movie Series at Central City Park. Scroll down to the Macon heading for more information.
Ocmulgee National Monument Scroll down to the Macon heading for more information.
Georgia State Parks are all Admission Free!
Parking is $5 but you can get a FREE PARKING PASS!! Check out Georgia State Park “ParkPass” and Historic Site Pass from your local library. Ask for the Park Pass to exempt the $5 parking fee. Ask for the Historic Sites Family pass which will cover up to four visitors at State historic sites operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
Places/Events On & Off The Beaten Path
- Sept. 16-20
Ride in air-conditioned, 1949 vintage train cars. (Admission applies. Call 229-410-7937 for group reservations and rates).
Watermelon Express Train Ride (5hrs.35mins.) Enjoy this ride from our Downtown Cordele Depot to Historic Plains, the small Georgia town made famous by President Jimmy Carter.
- Aug. 14, Aug. 22, Sept. 11 and Sept. 18
Presidential Flyer Train Ride (6 hrs. 25 mn.) Riding in air-conditioned, 1949 vintage train cars, you will travel from Georgia Veterans State Park, across Lake Blackshear to Plains, Archery and back. Explore President Jimmy Carter’s boyhood farm, go shopping and sample peanut butter treats.
- August 15, Sept. 12 and Nov. 21
Americus Explorer (6 hrs.) From Cordele through Ga. Veterans State Park, across Lake Blackshear, visit Historic Downtown Americus, tour Habitat for Humanity’s Global Village (Admission applies. Call 229-410-7937 for group reservations and rates). Enjoy a mix of romantic yesteryear with the excitement of today
- Sept. 5, and Sept 19
Peanut Festival Special (9am-4pm) All aboard for a wonderful adventure with fun, food and lots of peanuts. Vendors with arts and crafts will fill the park as you step off the train.
- Saturday September 26
Box Office 478-277-2560. 314 Academy Ave. Dublin, Ga.
- Atlanta Pops Orchestra Sept. 12
- First Friday concert series every first Friday of the month through October ( Sept. 4th Top 40 Pop Night with Rachel James & The Jealousies) and (Oct. 2nd, Country Night with Scott Brantley)
Indian Springs State Park, 678 Lake Clark Road, Flovilla, GA 30216
- Native American Festival Sept. 12-13. 9am-5pm at Indian Springs Hotel
Living History Map. Explore the Living History Map managed by the Historic Macon Foundation. Explore a few of Macon’s most important historic places.
- On Golden Pond will be showing Aug. 28-Sept. 6
- Children Pottery 3-3:30. Aug.15,16,22,23, 29,& 30
- Butterfly Bio Blitz Aug. 22. 9:00-4:00 Come help count as many butterflies as possible with your camera. Participants will receive a free t-shirt, backpack, water bottle, and much more. Fun for the whole family. Children can paint a butterfly jewelry box or sun catcher to take home with them.
- Zoom Into Nano exhibit runs through Nov. 1. This award-winning hands-on interactive exhibition explores how scientists and innovators study and make things that are too small to see.
Sandy Beach Water Park is Open!!
Go HERE for ticket information. Sat and Sundays Only From Aug 15 – Sept. 27 (Including Labor Day) Labor Day is the LAST DAY the park will be open this season.
Macon/Bibb Parks & Recreation Department Fall Movie Series
Movies show at dark at Central City Park. Bring blankets, lawn chairs and your own food and drink. Rain cancels.
- 8/21 Maleficient
- 9/14 Big Hero 6
- 9/18 Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, NO GOOD, VERY BAD, DAY
- 10/2 Annie
- 10/18 The Dark Knight
- Sept. 26 & 27th Macon to Tennille. The Nancy Hanks Special ~ Macon, GA to Tennille, GA (two round trips per day; 8am & 2pm) A commissary car will be included on the train selling snacks, soft drinks, and light food items. A gift shop will also be featured on board for those wishing to purchase souvenir items. Tickets
Georgia Wildlife Federation Buckarama Aug. 14-16. at McGill Marketplace, Heritage Hall of Ga. National Fairgrounds & Ag Center
Get $1 off admission, Here
- The Diary of Anne Frank opens Sept. 11
- Callaway Gardens Farmers Market, beach activities, kids zones, great food, drink specials and much more. Aqua Island, Paddle Boats, Miniature Golf, Table Tennis, Shuffleboard. Admission Info
- Summer Sunset Music Series Guest include;
Aug. 15 Brandon Holden
Aug. 22 Davis Nix
Aug. 29 Neal Lucas
Sept. 4 The Regulars
Sept. 5 Final Answer
Sept. 6 Ricky Gunn
Sept. 12 Barstool Prophets
- Movies on the beach Friday’s at 9pm.
August 14 The Avengers (2012)
August 21 MacFarland, USA
August 28 Guardians of the Galaxy
Coming Soon to Callaway Gardens
Sky High Hot Air Balloon Festival Sept. 4-6
Open daily at 10 am, closing times vary. 1300 Oak Grove Road, Pine Mountain, GA 31822
Splash In The Boro Family Waterpark & Aquatic Center NOW OPEN! Weekends only through Sept. 6. Ticket Info & Hours
- Beyond Rosie: Women in World War II June 1- Aug. 28. 9am-5pm.
- Aquarium is open to the public 8am-4pm daily. Closed on national holidays
Museum of Aviation located at GA. Hwy 247 at Russell Parkway is open daily 9 am-5 pm with Free Admission.
What will you find at the Farmer’s Market? Fresh produce, locally hand made products and services. You may even find pet adoptions!
When are they open? Some are only open during the summer months until early fall, some are open year round.
Contact (email@example.com) to have your market added to the list.
- Bolingbroke Farmer’s Market Every 1st, 3rd & 5th Tuesday. (Aug. 4 & 18 and Sept. 1, 15 &29) 3pm-6pm. Located at Country Oaks Farm & Pet Supply 5967 Hwy. 41 S.
- Byron downtown Farmer’s & Artisans Market located in the Jailhouse alley park every Saturday 9am-12pm
- Cochran Farmer’s Market (478) 832-0674 112 N. Second St. On the courthouse lawn. Saturday’s 8 am-Noon.
- Dublin Market on Madison on Facebook. Every Saturday through October. 7:30-12:30. Downtown on Madison St.
- Macon Mulberry Market Every Wednesday 3:30- 6:30 at Tattnall Square Park
- Macon Wesleyan Market Saturday’s 9 am- 1pm On the front lawn of Wesleyan College on Forsyth Rd.
- Macon State Farmer’s Market Open daily 7am-9:30 pm. Located at 2055 Eisenhower Pkwy.
- Milledgeville Marketplace Farmer’s Market Every Tuesday next to the Golden Pantry in downtown Milledgeville.
- Perry Farmer’s Market Every Saturday, year round. 9 am- Noon. Carroll St. Downtown
- Warner Robins International City Farmer’s Market. Every Thursday, year round. 1pm until dusk (6:30ish) Watson Blvd. at Maple St. Perkins Park.
GEORGIA STATE PARKS (in Middle Ga.)
F.D. Roosevelt State Park. ($5 parking)
- Farmer’s Market. Saturdays 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM – until Sep 5, 2015
- Water Wonders Every Saturday in August 2-3 pm (Drop by and dip a net in our lake. See our aquatic inhabitants. We provide nets, viewing scopes and lots of interesting discoveries. Geared towards adults & families w/ children ages 4 & up. Children must be accompanied by adults. Meets next to fishing dock in the campground)
- Art in the Park. Saturday’s from 2pm-5pm. Hand crafted, local items for sale. Craft demonstrations
- Eye Spy Camera Scavenger Hunt Aug. 15, 22 & 29. 8am-4pm
- Homeschool in the Park Day: Lake Life Aug. 21 9:30am-Noon
High Falls State Park ($5 parking)
- Twilight Night Paddle Sat. Sept. 5, 6, & 19. Watch wading birds and enjoy the setting sun in this peaceful, ranger-led 3 mile canoe trip to Buck Creek. This program is open to adults and children 8 years or older who are accompanied by an adult. Reservations required.
- Glow-in-the dark Putt-Putt Fri. Aug. 14th 8-9:30pm
- Paws on the Falls Aug. 15th 5-6pm and Sun. Aug. 30th 9-10am
- Canoeing 101: Intro to Paddling Sun. Aug. 16th 9am-10:30 Fee and registration required, call 478-993-3053
Indian Springs State Park ($5 parking)
Follow Indian Springs State Park on Facebook
Cottage and Camping Special!! 2% off campsites and cottages. Call the park770-504-2277. Valid until August 31.
- Tour the Museum The museum is open for tours the first Sat. of each month from 2-4pm.
- Junior Angler Fishing Rodeo Aug. 15th 9:15am. Go HERE for more information.
- The Village at Indian Springs is open! You will find Big Chief Country Store, Daisy Pearl’s Boutique, Ladybugs & Tadpoles Children’s Store, Mrs. Lee’s Stagecoach Sweet Stop, Vintage Post Antiques & Gifts and Watkins Outfitters.
Jarrell Plantation Historic Site
Sew a Simple Doll August 15. Learn to sew a Miss Poppet doll. The required doll kit is $7.99 plus tax.
Labor Day at Jarrell Plantation. Sat. Sept. 5th
Did you know that you can check out Georgia State Park “ParkPass” and Historic Site Pass from your local library. Ask for the Park Pass to exempt the $5 parking fee. Ask for the Historic Sites Family pass which will cover up to four visitor at State historic sites operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
The Fishing Tackle Loaner Program of The Wildlife Resources Division provides rods, reels and tackle box equipment to participating State Parks and Historic Sites Offices
Georgia State Parks Money saving Special discounts page can be found HERE.
- Get a FREE parking pass for an Georgia State Park at your local library. Go HERE for more information.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE