Happenings in Middle Georgia and Beyond
Including 4th of July events around the state and free family fun in middle Ga.
Keeping you informed of What’s Happening On and Off The Beaten Path in Middle Georgia and beyond.
4th of July Events
- Ol’ Time Independence Day at Jarrell Plantation
- BBQ & Fireworks On The Lake Express (Sam Shortline)
- Red, White & Cool Pool at FDR State Park
- Glow-N-The Dark Putt Putt at High Falls State Park at Indian Springs State Park
- Annual 4th of July Sunshine Festival Arts & Crafts Show at St. Simons Island
- Jekyll Island Independence Day Celebration
- Independence Day at Fort Mountain
- Fantastic Fourth Celebration at Stone Mountain
- July 4th Celebration at Cumming Fairgrounds
- Star Spangled Beach Weekend at Callaway Gardens
- Independence Day Fireworks at Tybee Island
- Oconee 4th of July Spectacular at Watkinsville
Free Summer Family Fun in Georgia
Home Depot Free Workshop Ages 5-12; Learn to Build a Minions Scooter Sat. July 4th 9am-Noon Registration is required. Classes available in Macon, W.R., Thomaston and Griffin.
These free kids clinics fill up fast so register early! Included are a free apron, goggles, patch and more.
Family Summer Camp dates are June 27-July 26 2015. Events are all free and include; crafts, workshops, BB shooting range, casting challenge and shooting arcade. All events occur at certain times, check your local store for times.
July 4-5 only there is a free catch & release pond with photo download.
360 Mt. Vernon Rd. Jackson, Ga. A private, non-profit nature center with Wildlife, trails and family fun for FREE! Explore a 19th century style working farm and see goats, pigs, cows, a mule, donkey and lots of chickens. Also featured at the farm is a blacksmith shop, cane syrup mill and cooking areas, country store, chicken coop, tenant house, and a smoke house.
GA Hwy 247 & Russell Parkway, Warner Robins, GA 31088. FREE!
Get a FREE parking pass for an Georgia State Park at your local library. Go HERE for more information.
Look for more Free events in the city listings below
2015 Georgia Cycling Grand Prix July 22-26
Georgia 400 Hospitality Highway Century (Registration ends July 5th)
2015 Road Race Cycling Championship July 11th. City of White, Ga.
Ga. Cup July 18th
Andersonville National Historic Site began as a stockade built about 18 months before the end of the U.S. Civil War to hold Union Army prisoners captured by Confederate soldiers. Today, Andersonville National Historic Site comprises three distinct components: the former site of Camp Sumter military prison, the Andersonville National Cemetery, and the National Prisoner of War Museum, which opened in 1998 to honor all U.S. prisoners of war in all wars.
- July. Avenue of Flags
Atlanta Street Food Festival July 11th Noon until 10 pm at Piedmont Park
Fun in the Summer Open Dates:
- Mon. – Sat. July 6 – July 11
- Mon. – Sat. July 13 – July 18
- Mon. – Sat. July 20 – July 25
- Open Times: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Ride in air-conditioned, 1949 vintage train cars. (Admission applies. Call 229-410-7937 for group reservations and rates).
Peanut Express (5.5 hrs.) Take a tourist train ride through southern Georgia. Visit the large collection of telephones in Leslie at the Rural Telephone Museum (Train ticket includes FREE admission to the museum). Then travel west to Plains for some delightful peanut treats.
- July 10th
Watermelon Express Train Ride (5hrs.35mins.) Enjoy this ride from our Downtown Cordele Depot to Historic Plains, the small Georgia town made famous by President Jimmy Carter.
- July 17th, 25th & 31.
Thronateeska Limited (5 hrs. 30 mins.) After a short ride through the Sumter County countryside, we deboard in the small town of Leslie, home of the 200,000 square foot Georgia Rural Telephone Museum. Train tickets include FREE admission to the museum, where you will explore the largest collection of antique telephones and telephone memorabilia in the world. You will also see numerous antique vehicles and even a working cathedral pipe organ.
- July 24
Presidential Flyer Train Ride (6 hrs. 25 mn.) Riding in air-conditioned, 1949 vintage train cars, you will travel from Georgia Veterans State Park, across Lake Blackshear to Plains, Archery and back. Explore President Jimmy Carter’s boyhood farm, go shopping and sample peanut butter treats.
- July 11
Georgia Mountain Fair July 17-25
The Village at Indian Springs
Indian Springs State Park, 678 Lake Clark Road, Flovilla, GA 30216
- So You Think You Have Talent July 25
Macon’s Bragg Jam Festival is July 25th!
Mulberry Market Every Wednesday 3:30- 6:30 at Tattnall Park
Living History Map. Explore the Living History Map managed by the Historic Macon Foundation. Explore a few of Macon’s most important historic places.
Douglas Theatre. 355 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. (478) 742-2000.
- Children Pottery July 4,5,18,19,25, & 26
- First Saturday: Free Admission sponsored by MedCen Foundation/Navicent Health
Lake Tobesofkee Sandy Beach Water Park COMING SOON!
- Callaway Gardens Farmers Market, beach activities, kids zones, great food, drink specials and much more. Aqua Island, Paddle Boats, Miniature Golf, Table Tennis, Shuffleboard. Admission Info
- Summer Sunset Music Series Guest include; Swingin’ Medallions (4th), Chris Collins (5th), Secret Sauce (11th), Foghat with Special Guest Neal Lucas (18th), and Kyle Wilson (25th).
- Movies on the beach Friday’s at 9pm
Open daily at 10 am, closing times vary. 1300 Oak Grove Road, Pine Mountain, GA 31822
- Beyond Rosie: Women in World War II June 1- Aug. 28. 9am-5pm.
Museum of Aviation located at GA. Hwy 247 at Russell Parkway is open daily 9 am-5 pm with Free Admission.
International City Farmer’s Market Thursday’s 1-6 pm at Perkin’s Park.
GEORGIA STATE PARKS
F.D. Roosevelt State Park. ($5 parking)
- Farmer’s Market. Saturdays 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM – May 23, 2015 until Sep 5, 2015
- Water Wonders Every Saturday in July 2-3 pm
- Art in the Park. Saturday’s from 2pm-5pm. Hand crafted, local items for sale. Craft demonstrations.
High Falls State Park ($5 parking)
Indian Springs State Park ($5 parking)
- The Village at Indian Springs is open! You will find Big Chief Country Store, Daisy Pearl’s Boutique, Ladybugs & Tadpoles Children’s Store, Mrs. Lee’s Stagecoach Sweet Stop, Vintage Post Antiques & Gifts and Watkins Outfitters.
Jarrell Plantation Historic Site (711 Jarrell Plantation Rd. Juliette, GA 31046) Admission $4-6.50)
Sew a Simple Doll July 18 & August 15. Learn to sew a Miss Poppet doll. The required doll kit is $7.99 plus tax.
Did you know that you can check out Georgia State Park “ParkPass” and Historic Site Pass from your local library. Ask for the Park Pass to exempt the $5 parking fee. Ask for the Historic Sites Family pass which will cover up to four visitor at State historic sites operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
The Fishing Tackle Loaner Program of The Wildlife Resources Division provides rods, reels and tackle box equipment to participating State Parks and Historic Sites Offices
Georgia State Parks Money saving Special discounts page can be found HERE.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE