Welcome to Happenings in Middle Georgia and Beyond
Keeping you informed of What’s Happening On and Off The Beaten Path in middle Georgia and beyond.
Andersonville National Historic Site began as a stockade built about 18 months before the end of the U.S. Civil War to hold Union Army prisoners captured by Confederate soldiers. Today, Andersonville National Historic Site comprises three distinct components: the former site of Camp Sumter military prison, the Andersonville National Cemetery, and the National Prisoner of War Museum, which opened in 1998 to honor all U.S. prisoners of war in all wars.
- May 22. Avenue of Flags
- May 23. Placement of flags at gravesites
- May 24 Memorial Day Observance Program.
The Rock Ranch Strawberry Festival Sat. May 9th. 10am-4pm. Enjoy all of the fun attractions, visit with Strawberry Shortcake and the Strawberry Princess, shop in the Georgia Grown Farm Market and gift shop, and relax with some Rock Ranch famous homemade strawberry ice cream. There will also be delicious strawberry pies, strawberry shortcake and strawberry lemonade. Strawberry ice cream in take-home containers, and strawberry lemonade will be available for purchase by the gallon.
SAM Shortline Excursion
- National Train Day Cordele-Crisp “Touch-A-Train” Sat. May 9th. 10am to 4pm at our Georgia Veterans State Park Depot in Cordele, Georgia at beautiful Lake Blackshear! Admission is $2 per person (under 2 free). Train rides over Lake Blackshear are $5 per person (under 2 free) Activities including bouncy houses, putt-putt golf, bean bag toss and plenty of great food! Meet Smokey the Bear, the Chick-Fil-A Cow and the Georgia State Parks Gopher!
- Watermelon Express Train Ride May 7, 13, 22 & 30th.
Historic Macon Foundation Cotton Avenue Walking Tour. May 30 10am-11am George Muhammad will lead a walking tour along Cotton Avenue. Learn the history of what was once the commercial center for African Americans during segregation and its evolution. Tour limited to 25 people. RSVP required: 478-742-5084 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Like Historic Macon on Facebook.
Living History Map. Explore the Living History Map managed by the Historic Macon Foundation. Explore a few of Macon’s most important historic places.
Macon Little Theatre. The Importance of being Earnest. May 8-17. A Trivial Comedy For Serious People by Oscar Wilde. All shows start at 8pm except for Sunday Matinee which starts at 2:30pm.
Douglas Theatre. 355 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. (478) 742-2000.
- Folk Legend John McCutcheon Sat. May 9th. 7:30 pm $20
- IDENTITY , a theatrical Mime worship production. Friday May 15th at 7:30 pm. $10 in advance/$5 children 10 and under/$15 at the door.
- NT LIVE’S “MAN AND SUPERMAN” SUNDAY, May 24th 3pm. $20. Academy Award® nominee Ralph Fiennes plays Jack Tanner in this exhilarating reinvention of Shaw’s witty, provocative classic.
Bike N’ Bites Throughout the month of May, the College Hill crew will be biking to local eateries for lunch. They would love your company! Each Friday, meet at the College Hill Alliance office (1083 Washington Ave.) at noon, with your bike and an appetite.
- Adult Field Day! Sat. May 16th. Luther Williams Field at Central City Park. Noon
- Spring Movie Series Sat. May 8th Despicable Me, Sat. May 22 Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Free movies at dark in Luther Williams Stadium in Central City Park. Bring blankets & chairs to sit on the green, or take a seat in the stands. Outside food and drink is permitted, but the concessions will be available for purchase.
- Children’s Pottery May 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, & 30. 3pm-3:30pm. Children can learn how to make coiled pottery like the Native Americans did thousands of years ago. All ages welcome. The program does take place outside and the program will be cancelled if it raining
- Birds of Prey May 9th. 10:00, 12:30, & 3:30. Live flight demonstrations with owls, hawks, and falcons.
- Hike with a Ranger. Sat. May 30th 9 am- 11am. Free
- Sky Over Macon May 22, 8 pm – 10 pm
Learn more about the Museum of Arts & Sciences in this brief video
Chamber Music Festival May 1-June 14. Madison-Morgan Cultural Center 434 S. Main Street Madison, GA 30650. Featuring concerts with both traditional and non-traditional chamber music. Performances by Canadian Brass member Brandon Ridenour, the stunning Grammy Award-nominated Eroica Trio, the iconic and award-winning bluegrass trio the Kruger Brothers band, prodigious pianist Daria Rabotkina, not the mention, international prize-winning Dover Quartet, and an evening with Entre Flamenco!
- Memorial Day Weekend Festival 56th Masters Water Ski & Wakeboard Tournament® and a host of other fun attractions at Robin Lake Beach including live music, the Callaway Gardens Farmers Market, beach activities, kids zones, great food, drink specials and much more. Aqua Island, Paddle Boats, Miniature Golf, Table Tennis, Shuffleboard. Admission Info
- Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre. May 9th
- Travis Tritt Concert with Special Guest Daniel Lee – Sat. May 16, 2015 Advance tickets can be purchased online for $35; same-day tickets are $45. Taxes and service fees are additional.
$2 Off Wild Animal Safari at Pine Mountain. Go HERE for discount tickets.
Museum of Aviation located at GA. Hwy 247 at Russell Parkway is open daily 9 am-5 pm with Free Admission.
GEORGIA STATE PARKS
F.D. Roosevelt State Park. ($5 parking)
- Music & Dancing on the Mountain. June 20.
- Mothers Day Picnic & Cornhole Tournament Sun. May 10th 1pm-4pm
- Pine Mountain Trail Workday May 16, June 20, July 25 & Aug. 22. Times are 10am-3pm. Volunteer.
High Falls State Park ($5 parking)
Indian Springs State Park ($5 parking)
The Village at Indian Springs reopened April 4. You will find Big Chief Country Store, Daisy Pearl’s Boutique, Ladybugs & Tadpoles Children’s Store, Mrs. Lee’s Stagecoach Sweet Stop, Vintage Post Antiques & Gifts and Watkins Outfitters.
- Memorial Day Miniature Golf Tournament May 23 at 10 am
Jarrell Plantation Historic Site (711 Jarrell Plantation Rd. Juliette, GA 31046) Admission $4-6.50)
- Sew a Simple Doll May 16, July 18 & August 15. Learn to sew a Miss Poppet doll. The required doll kit is $7.99 plus tax.
- Family Farm Day Sat. May 23. 10:30-3:30. Learn about chores and skills from long ago, such as sewing, blacksmithing, woodstove cooking, gardening, woodworking and other farm activities.
Georgia Veterans State Park. (2459 U.S. Highway 280 W. Cordele, GA 31015) $5 parking
Did you know that you can check out Georgia State Park “ParkPass” and Historic Site Pass from your local library. Ask for the Park Pass to exempt the $5 parking fee. Ask for the Historic Sites Family pass which will cover up to four visitor at State historic sites operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
The Fishing Tackle Loaner Program of The Wildlife Resources Division provides rods, reels and tackle box equipment to participating State Parks and Historic Sites Offices
Georgia State Parks Money saving Special discounts page can be found HERE.
Georgia Aquarium located in downtown Atlanta. Exhibits and galleries include more than 10 million gallons of fresh and marine water and more aquatic life than found in any other aquarium.
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Planner Set - November 13, 2018
- Thanksgiving Menu Including Grocery List & Recipes - November 12, 2018
- Crockpot Side Dish Recipes - November 11, 2018