Welcome to Happenings in Middle Georgia and Beyond
Keeping you informed of What’s Happening On and Off The Beaten Path in middle Georgia and beyond.
Did you know that Georgia has lots of covered bridges? Learn more about the Watson Mill Bridge in Comer and more in this Explore Georgia article, HERE.
Strawberry Festival at The Rock Ranch
April 25. Saturday May 9th. (The dates changed due to weather) Barnesville. 10am-4pm. $12 admission for ages 4 and up.
Barnesville Battle of the Bones. May 1-2. Barnesville. Florida Barbeque Association Georgia State Championship
Hillside Bluegrass Reunion. April 23-26. Cochran at Hillside Family RV
Americus Explorer Train Ride on the Sam Shortline. April 25th. Riding in air-conditioned, 1949 vintage train cars, you can travel from Cordele to visit Historic Downtown Americus and tour Habitat for Humanity’s Global Village (Admission applies. Call 229-410-7937 for group reservations and rates).
Wheels in the Valley Car, Truck & Motorcycle Show Sat. April 25th 8 am- 11:30. FVSC Wildcat Stadium parking lot. Spectator admission is Free.
Massee Lane Gardens Free Admission Day . May 9. 10am-4:30pm. Free Admission Day. 100 Massee Lane, Ft. Valley, Georgia.
Hay House Spring Stroll May 1, 2 & 3. Enjoy the Macon Secret Gardens Tour (See my photos from last years tour Here and Here), Historic Interiors Tour or Both. (Read about my daughter’s Hay House Wedding, Here)
- April 26 3:00-3:30. Children’s pottery, Free. Cancel if rain. Children will learn to make coil pottery and taken their creation home with them.
- Birds of Prey May 9th. 10:00, 12:30, & 3:30. Live flight demonstrations with owls, hawks, and falcons.
Museum of Arts & Sciences 59th Annual Pet Show, Sunday, April 26th on the lawn at Coliseum Northside Hospital
First Saturday at the Museum by Navicent Health. Sat. May 2, All Day. Admission is Free.
Learn more about the Museum of Arts & Sciences in this brief video
Houston County Friends of Library Old Book Sale April 30-May 2. Perry. Georgia Building of the Ga. National Fairgrounds. 90,000 books and media sorted into more than 50 categories!
Callaway Gardens Azalea Season is going on now thru Thursday April 30th. More than 20,000 azaleas!
- Symphony on the Sand with Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Friday April 24th
Reptile Review at F.D. Roosevelt State Park. April 25. Times are 11am- 12pm Learn how to ID local snakes, turtles, and lizards Meet at the CCC Stone Amphitheater next to the Park Office. Admission $3 for ages 4 & up. Parking $5.
$2 Off Wild Animal Safari at Pine Mountain. Go HERE for discount tickets.
Strawberry Festival. April 24-25. Reynolds Events include; Strawberry Cook-Off with celebrity judges, Parades, Old Book Sale, Arts & Crafts, Classic Car Show and Clown Car Show, “Weenie Dog” Race, Lawn Mower Race and more.
Parking Lot Party supporting Wounded Warrior Project. Sun. May 3 in the Hobby Lobby parking lot on Watson Blvd. 1-5pm.
Museum of Aviation located at GA. Hwy 247 at Russell Parkway is open daily 9 am-5 pm with Free Admission.
GEORGIA STATE PARKS
F.D. Roosevelt State Park. ($5 parking)
- Music & Dancing on the Mountain. June 20.
- Wildflowers & Wildlife Discovery Table April 26 from 11 am-2 pm.
- Homeschool in the Park:Insects Friday May 1. 9:30- Noon.
- Mothers Day Picnic & Cornhole Tournament Sun. May 10th 1pm-4pm
- Pine Mountain Trail Workday May 16, June 20, July 25 & Aug. 22. Times are 10am-3pm. Volunteer.
High Falls State Park ($5 parking)
Indian Springs State Park ($5 parking)
The Village at Indian Springs reopened April 4. You will find Big Chief Country Store, Daisy Pearl’s Boutique, Ladybugs & Tadpoles Children’s Store, Mrs. Lee’s Stagecoach Sweet Stop, Vintage Post Antiques & Gifts and Watkins Outfitters.
- Memorial Day Miniature Golf Tournament May 23 at 10 am
Jarrell Plantation Historic Site (711 Jarrell Plantation Rd. Juliette, GA 31046) Admission $4-6.50)
- Sew a Simple Doll May 16, July 18 & August 15. Learn to sew a Miss Poppet doll. The required doll kit is $7.99 plus tax.
- Family Farm Day Sat. May 23. 10:30-3:30. Learn about chores and skills from long ago, such as sewing, blacksmithing, woodstove cooking, gardening, woodworking and other farm activities.
Georgia Veterans State Park. (2459 U.S. Highway 280 W. Cordele, GA 31015) $5 parking
- Kayak/Canoe Tour of Lake Blackshear. April 25th 3pm-5pm. $8 per person.
- Smores & More April 25th 7-8pm $2 per person.
Did you know that you can check out Georgia State Park “ParkPass” and Historic Site Pass from your local library. Ask for the Park Pass to exempt the $5 parking fee. Ask for the Historic Sites Family pass which will cover up to four visitor at State historic sites operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
The Fishing Tackle Loaner Program of The Wildlife Resources Division provides rods, reels and tackle box equipment to participating State Parks and Historic Sites Offices
Georgia State Parks Money saving Special discounts page can be found HERE.
Georgia Aquarium located in downtown Atlanta. Exhibits and galleries include more than 10 million gallons of fresh and marine water and more aquatic life than found in any other aquarium.
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Easy Mardi Gras King Cake Recipe - February 19, 2019
- A Week of One Dish Dinner Ideas (Merry Monday 242) - February 17, 2019
- 2019 Spring and Summer Fairs & Festivals In Georgia - February 16, 2019