There is a blogging trend taking place where authors are sharing fun facts about themselves. I have found it to be fun reading about the wonderful bloggers I enjoy following. I agree with fellow blogger, Amanda over at Busy Mama 911 that is seems a little vain but at the same time, it is nice to get to know my cyber friends so with that spirit in mind, here I go.
1. I won a Sharpshooter medal during my 4 years of JROTC in High School. This skill came in handy while participating in a shooting game at a church event (it wasn’t a real gun) the young man operating the game proceeded to poke fun at me for being a girl trying to shoot straight. He was soon speechless. Ahhh, that felt good!
2. While in high school, I attended 5 Military Balls and 2 Proms. My brother and I (he was not my date, he was also in JROTC) stole the show at a Military Ball by doing the jitter bug!
3. I know how to embroider by hand doing all types of cute little knots. I taught myself to crochet although I’m not very good at it. I like crocheting winter scarves with matching hats and can average about one per year. J I cannot sew a single stitch.
4. When I was younger, I always wanted to drive a tractor trailer truck, work at a Waffle House (I loved to hear them call out the orders) and work in lay-away at K-Mart during Christmas.(I was confident that I would give excellent customer service, plus I love organized chaos) I have done 2 of those things. Can you guess which two?
5. I have knocked at death’s door twice in my life. The first time when I was 12 years old, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. The doctor told my Mom that if she had waited two more weeks to bring me in, I would not have lived. The second time, I was about 22. The heater in our garage apartment was leaking carbon monoxide into our home but we had no idea. My husband came home for lunch one day and found me unconscious. I spent 3 days in the hospital. If he had not come home for lunch that day, I would not have survived. God is good all the time. I give Him the praise!
6. I was blessed to be able to attend college as an adult. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Public Service/Human Services with a 3.2 GPA the year I turned 50. I also have an Associates of Arts in Political Science with a focus on Middle Eastern politics. During the six years that I crammed my 4 year degree into, I participated in Model United Nations and even won a Best Delegation Award with my debate partner. I co-founded the Model UN Conference at my college serving as the first Secretary General.
7. Although I am absolutely terrible at video games in general, I can whoop my husband every time in Guitar Hero!
8. I have Acrophobia, fear of heights. Several weeks ago, that fear griped me as my husband and I were going up an escalator while shopping. That was a first, escalators have never been a problem before.
9. My biggest pet peeve is poor elevator manners. It doesn’t make sense to me for people to stand right in front of elevator doors blocking the riders from being able to exit! This happens both inside and outside of elevator doors.
10. I believe the glass is half full.