My Sour Cream Pound Cake recipe is the old fashioned version, made from scratch using a trusted recipe passed down through the years.
This recipe was shared with me by a couple of very special ladies in my life. They were my neighbors. Nina and Irene were sisters, in their 80’s, who never married. They were a wealth of knowledge to a young newlywed learning how to manage a household. Neither of them drove so I would take them places sometimes. I was a Stay at home Mom at the time and I really enjoyed their company. They got along splendidly and were a great example of kindness to me. Those sweet sisters are fondly etched in my memory.
More Made from Scratch Desserts
- Chocolate Pecan Pie Easy Recipe
- Easy Homemade Hot Fudge
- Chocolate Pound Cake from Scratch
- Christmas Magic Cookie Bars
Nina came over and got me one day so she could teach me how to make this Old Fashioned Sour Cream Pound Cake. A willing student, I still remember listening intently and peeping into her oven as she showed me to set a pan of water on the lower rack to keep the cake from browning too much on the outside.
Nina’s recipe is published in their 1985 church cookbook. I purchased a copy because as we all know, church cookbook’s have the best recipes! It’s not really ‘my’ recipe although I do refer to it as such. It’s your recipe too. We share recipes through time and generations. The really good one’s like this Sour Cream Pound Cake recipe live on to be shared again and again.
Print or Download the recipe at the end of this post.
~~~Share to Pinterest~~
~~~Follow our Ultimate Desserts Board on Pinterest~~~
Grab your favorite Bundt Pan and let’s make this delicious Sour Cream Pound Cake! You will impress everyone with this recipe!
Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe
Author: Shirley Wood for Irene Peterson
Recipe type: Dessert
An Old Fashioned Sour Cream Pound Cake made from scratch and baked with love
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dissolve the baking soda in the sour cream and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy on medium speed.
- Begin adding, alternately, eggs (one at a time), sour cream mixture and flour, beating between each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a prepared tube pan.
- Put into a cold oven and bake at 300° for about 1 ½ hours or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This cake may be glazed or not. It's delicious either way.
Hi, I'm Shirley; recipe creator, crafting enthusiast and penny pincher from way back. Join me on my journey of domestic living and isn't everything domestic!
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- 9 Easy Spring Decorating Ideas (Merry Monday 245) - March 17, 2019
- Tips For Visiting Massee Lane Gardens Fort Valley, Georgia - March 11, 2019
- Air Fryer Southern Fried Catfish Nuggets - March 7, 2019