Our Simple Chopped Steak recipe is great for weeknight dinners. All you need to go with it is a baked potato or mashed potatoes and maybe your favorite green vegetable.
I get it, everyone doesn’t love mushrooms as much as I do. So just leave them out of your recipe. No problem. Want onions with your mushrooms, just add them in.
Seriously, the dry beefy onion soup mix packs plenty of flavor into these homemade chopped steaks. There is salt in the mix which is why I leave additional salt out of my recipe.
This is such a simple and easy recipe to prepare for homemade chopped steak. I have been known to double all the ingredients and make hamburger patties to freeze for later. This same meat mixture makes delicious burgers for the grill.
Simmer without the lid. Adding the lid will cause condensation and make your gravy watery. Just be sure to simmer on low so your gravy doesn’t boil out and continue to stir occasionally.
If you want onions, add them into the gravy just before placing the meat back into the skillet. You can add some beneath and on top of the meat along with the mushrooms.
Visit our Menu Plan Page for more weeknight dinner ideas.
- 1 lb. ground beef (preferably ground chuck)
- 1 pkg. dry beefy onion soup mix
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Cups beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 container sliced Portobello mushrooms, rinsed
- Mix the first five ingredients together in a bowl until well blended.
- Shape into patties by rolling into a ball then flattening between your palms.
- Brown both sides of meat in a large skillet on medium high heat. Drain on paper toweling.
- While the meat is on the paper toweling, make the gravy as follows.
- Drain all but about 1 Tbsp. of meat renderings from skillet and return to heat.
- With heat on medium high, sprinkle the flour into the meat renderings stirring with a fork to break up lumps.
- Pour the beef broth into the skillet slowly as the steam will quickly rise.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Add the steaks back into the gravy.
- Pour the mushrooms into the skillet.
- Cook, uncovered, on low until mushrooms and meat are done.Gravy will continue to thicken.
We enjoyed baked potatoes with our homemade chopped steak recently but mashed potatoes are also a popular side dish with this delicious weeknight meal. See our delicious Homemade Mashed Potato recipe too.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure policy.
We party with these blogs.
More Ground Beef Recipes
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Upcycle An Enamelware Canner Pot Into A Large Flower Container - June 22, 2017
- $300 Paypal Cash Summer Giveaway - June 21, 2017
- Family Friendly Roadtrip Car Games - June 19, 2017