Classic Watergate Salad is really somewhat of a misnomer for a name because this salad is really a dessert! It’s super easy to make with only three ingredients.
Watergate Salad has been making appearances at social events for quite a few years now. I felt like you might be interested to know why I call ‘mine’ “Classic” so I’m sharing the History of Watergate Salad.
The History of Watergate Salad dates back to the mid 1980’s. Originally the recipe was shared by Kraft and called Pistachio Pineapple Delight. Sometime in the mid 1980’s the name was changed to Watergate Salad and marshmallows were added to the recipe. Even though the name changed the recipe is still printed on the side of the Pistachio Jell-o box. For the complete history visit the Kraft site here. You will also find links to other variations.
Watergate Salad Trivia
(Answers at the bottom of this page)
What month of the year is Watergate Salad most popular based on internet searches for the recipe?
How many people search the internet for the Watergate Salad recipe during it’s most popular month?
I make mine without the marshmallows. That’s how Momma always made it and I now know why based on my history research!
- 1 small pkg. (3.4 oz.) Pistachio pudding
- 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapples in juice, undrained
- 1 (12 oz) container of whipped topping, preferably Cool Whip
- ¼ cup chopped pecans for topping
- Mix all ingredients, except pecans, together. Folding works better than stirring to mix the pudding into the cool whip.
- Top with chopped pecans prior to serving.
- Store in refrigerator for at least one hour prior to serving.
Watergate Salad is a perfect make ahead dessert for entertaining. You can store it in the refrigerator and bring it out at the right moment.
The fact that you can make this dessert with only three ingredients is not lost on a busy cook either!
If you make the Kraft version, recipe here which does include the marshmallows, a 1/2 cup serving has only 190 calories!
Trivia Answers. November. 50,000.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure policy.
More from our site
Latest posts by Shirley Wood (see all)
- Our Fireplace Makeover - May 22, 2017
- 7 Ways To Enjoy Your Outdoor Space & Merry Monday Link Party #155 - May 21, 2017
- 10 Decadent Chocolate Dessert Ideas & Merry Monday #154 - May 14, 2017